Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Freshpet: Dognation Oatmeal and Cranberry Cookies

The other type of Ready to Bake cookies Freshpet sent me are the Dognation Oatmeal and Cranberry cookies. Here is Part 1 of the review.

Ingredients:
Oats, Evaporated Cane Juice, Palm Oil, Eggs, Cranberries, Water, Baking Soda, Carrageenan.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min): 5.0%
Crude Fat (min): 18.0%
Crude Fiber (max): 1.5%
Moisture (max): 19.0%
Calorie Content (calculated): 4,210 kcal ME per kg / 72 kcal per baked cookie

Like the other cookies, I received, these also have cane juice but again, since these are treats, I will not worry about it's inclusion.

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place cookies 2″ apart on ungreased baking sheet. Gently flatten each cookie with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10-14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool completely on baking rack before serving. Store baked cookies in an air tight container for up to 14 days.

Unbaked cookies
Each box comes with 18 cookies and costs roughly $7 per package. A bit more than the other kind, but still doable.

These cookies smell pretty good, better than the peanut better type.
Each dog got one cookie as an initial test. Like the other cookies, they were an instant hit. All the dogs scarfed their cookies down quick.
Conker really liked these and was offering behaviors in return for the cookie in my hand. He does not offer behaviors very often, he usually needs to be given a command. This must be a pretty good cookie if he was doing that. 

Baked cookies
The cookies digest easily which is always a plus for me. I didn't have to "transition" Conker to them like I do with some treats. They are a bit big for smaller dogs but they can be cut or broken into smaller pieces for dogs who don't need an entire cookie in one sitting.

These are a bit on the fragile side so I wouldn't go sticking one into your pocket if you don't want a ton of crumbs getting left behind.

These cookies are a lot of fun, and since the dogs enjoyed them so much, I will probably buy them every now and then if I can find them. I like how they are made with oats instead of grains like wheat, and the baking thing is cool. No need to make the dough yourself with these!

I recommend people who are looking for something a bit different to try these, for dogs who can have a large treat, and for dogs who are not on a grain-free diet.


I'd like to thank Freshpet for giving me the opportunity to review these cookies, and for sending them to me so quickly. I enjoyed baking and giving them a test run (as did the dogs).

1 comment:

  1. I like the ingredient list, I am quite tempted to give it a try! 18 cookies for $7 seems very reasonable to me.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete