Sunday, November 28, 2010
Re-learning to walk on a leash.
Conker is looking more like an adult every day. After a session of play and running around the apartment like mad and also, for the first time, jumping on the bed, Conker seemed to have gained more weight. I may not have noticed until then, but I'm convinced he's at least a good 5 pounds heavier than when we got him. (12 pounds 11 ounces.) He is also acting better, for the most part.
He seems to have given up on barking at us when we are eating. His silence gets him a small nibble of whatever dinner may have been. (Provided it's dog-safe.)
Conker gets a small spoonful of plain yogurt once or twice a day and his stinky farts have almost completely vanished. He eats faster and more when there's yogurt involved so I watch to be sure he doesn't eat too quickly.
Today after a fail-walk where Conker did nothing but running around, chasing his tail and biting the leash I tried something different. Whenever he did something I didn't want to happen on a walk I'd stop dead and completly ignore him. He continued to be a moron for 20 minutes before he calmed down and sat on the sidewalk. 5 feet later he was at it again and we went nowhere for another 20 minutes. It must have looked quite odd for the people driving by to see my little Shiba Inu going at it with the leash around my legs while I acted as if nothing was happening. We made several more stops, each one progressively shorter than the last and finally made it to the treat store. He wouldn't take a treat from the employee's hand, probably because there were several other people in the store but he was more curious than last time and sniffed at everyone when they ignored him.
I bought his food and a few treats then we headed home. We only made a few more short stop-and-wait-until-he-sits-then-continue maneuvers before we were back at home working on targeting and waiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment