Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

SNOW! (Saturday, December 11th)

  I really didn't think it was going to snow in St. Peters this early.  I'd been watching the Weather Channel the whole day and they kept saying that we were only going to get a tinsy bit of snow.
Well, around 6 at night the snow was beginning to fall, barely enough to see but enough that one could spot it blowing across the road in car headlights.  By 11 at night there were gatherings of snow on rooftops, cars and patches of grass.  By 2 AM the ground was covered.  We decided to go out at 3.  It was so bright due to the snow in the air we didn't need lights.

Conker had never seen snow before.  At first he didn't want to come off the steps or touch the snow but after a bit of coaxing, he jumped right in.

Conker decided the snow was the best thing he'd ever seen.  He constantly ran around, jumped and rolled in it and chased the large flakes blowing in the wind.  I was surprised at how quiet he was, normally he makes a lot of noise when he plays like that.  I was glad he didn't bark since our neighbors probably wouldn't have liked that.

We decided to go for a walk around the complex.  Conker wanted to stay in the large grass area and run some more.  He was on a 30 foot lead and surprisingly had no urge to run off.  Though he didn't want to leave the grass area, he followed after he realized we were leaving.  He stayed close the entire time.

Conker would trot ahead of us and sniff the snow then run to catch up after we had passed him.  He liked to jump onto the "planters" with grass and bushes and sniff at whatever was under the snow, but for the most part he stuck to the snowy sidewalk.
We spent a good 45 minutes walking around the complex.  Conker slipped on a patch of ice that I, immediately afterward, slipped on as well but I caught myself before I landed on top of him.  Conker really enjoyed his late night in the snow, but we were getting tired so we decided to call it.

The snow was still there the next day and had added an inch or so, bringing the snowfall to around 3 inches.  We took Conker out for a quick 20 minute 30-foot lead walk then had breakfast/lunch.  After that we walked to the treat store and bought him some more Orijen and a few treats.

Letting Conker run around in the snow on the 30-foot lead did something to him.  He is a MUCH better dog on the leash now and understands that when we grab the big lead he gets to run and play and when we grab the short lead he needs to stay close.  The better he does on the short lead means more long lead time.

The snow is still here.  It's kinda odd for me seeing snow outside every time I look out the window since I grew up in Phoenix Arizona and snow doesn't exist there.  For Conker it seems like he's known about snow for his whole 5 1/2month life.  He loves the snow so much, it's kinda sad to bring him back inside.

1 comment:

  1. He looks VERY self-satisfied in the last picture!

    Cute.

    ReplyDelete