Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dog Park and Hog Hunting.

Took Conker to the Dog Park today.  When we got there a dog we've met before named Mollie was there.  She is some sort of wire-haired Terrier Lab mix.  Shortly after a gorgeous Malamute Collie mix came in.  The lady who owned her said she was probably Husky/Malamute/Wolf whatever but I definatly saw some Collie.


I can't quite remember her name but she was very nice and played well with Conker.  About 10 minutes later a Chatahoula Leopard Dog mix came in.  He may have been full Catahoula but I don't know them enough to tell.  his name was River and he was full of energy!  He played pretty rough and Conker had to step up his game to keep up with him.  River is nine months old and Conker is almost eight.

Maybe twenty to thirty minutes after the CollieMute left a cute 10 week old Chow/Lab pup I'd met yesterday came in.  His name is Percy.  The pups rolled around and wrestled for a bit until Percy began to get nippy and latched onto River's face.  Percy's owner wants him to learn not to do that so they left.  River was also being a little rough even though Percy, weighing 21 pounds, was easily able to hold his own against River.

There was also a tubby little Miniature Pincher there named Spuds.  He waddled around and growled whenever the pups got too rowdy around him but he was a generally nice little guy.


During all the dog play River's owner and I began to talk about things.  She asked what Conker was and I told her.  If people aren't sure what a Shiba Inu is I explain to them that they are small Japanese hunting dogs related to the Akita Inu.  And that the breed is a really old one since a lot of people ask if they are new or designers.
Surprisingly, River's owner was interested in the hunting part and asked what Shibas were used to hunt.  Rabbits and pheasants I guess, but I told her that there are other Japanese hunting dogs that are used for deer and boar.  Again she surprised me by saying that her husband had been wanting to bowhunt boar so we began a long conversation about boar and how here in Oregon all you need is a hunting license and you can take as many boar whenever you want.  They have no season or limit, Oregon wants them gone.
She asked if I knew where any boar were, I don't know yet, but I do know they have been sighted and even bagged in this area.  There is very little information on boar hunting in Oregon since they are a nongame animal and considered a "predator", something the state wants gone, so they aren't treated like deer and birds who have lots of info available. 
I still have no idea if hunting boar with dogs is allowed here.  I'm going to try to find out in the next few months, and if hunting boar with dogs IS legal, I hope it stays that way until I can get myself some experience and a good pair or trio of hog dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment