Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Baby Beef: salted and dried

I finally got around to salting the Baby Beef's hide. I haven't done this before, so it was a learning experience. It's a lot easier that I thought it would be. But the pallet I salted the hide on left marks on the fur. I guess I should use solid wood next time.

I haven't tanned it yet, but I'll (hopefully?) get around to that eventually. Whenever I decide to pull the head out of the freezer, thaw it, and cut the brains out...

2 comments:

  1. nice. Do you have to use the brains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not have to, but I prefer to do things as old-fashioned and environmentally friendly as possible. Some of the chemicals used to tan hides are downright scary...
      I'd like to keep the skull too, so I'll probably bury it in a wire cage so bugs can eat on it and clean it for me but critters can't chew or walk off with it.

      Delete