Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

First hike!

I went into GP today to get a few things I forgot to get yesterday and took Conker and Katana along with. I decided to hop on over to Cathedral Hills and do a short hike with the boys while I was there.

(Sorry no pictures. I left my phone at home.)

Katana did really well off-leash on the trails. He seems to be worried about losing me, and will frequently stop and wait until I am back in sight, or come look for me if I don't show up right away. Meanwhile, Conker was cruising along without a worry in the world about my location. Katana would dash up to Conker and chill with him for a bit then stop and wait for me to catch up.

My favorite part of the hike was when Conker spotted a turkey and glanced at me with a look of excitement on his face.
"Go git 'em!" I yelled, and off he tore after the large bird. The turkey made some bizzarre bubbling sounds as it hurried up the slope away from the rapidly approaching Shiba, who chased it for a good 20 seconds on foot before it took flight and refuge in a tree. Usually this is where Conker would break off his pursuit, but much to my surprise (and glee!) he stopped beneath the the and bayed at the turkey! This has always been his weak spot, baying once his quarry is treed, so I yelled lots of praise and congratulations to him on his fine performance.
Katana watched while Conker hunted the turkey, but joined him on a squirrel chase off in the brush. They both lost the squirrel though, so I did not get to see if Conker (or Katana) would bay up the squirrel or not.

Anywho, we did a short 1.5 mile hike or so. It wore Katana out good, and he slept the entire way home with his face smushed in one corner of his crate. I am looking forwards to many more hikes with this pup!


Katana responded well to recall on the trail, but totally ignored me once we neared the parking lot. I like to leash my dogs before we get to the lot, but Katana just cruised ahead and into the lot without me. Where he proceeded to frighten somebody's small dog until I could come to her rescue and fetch my unruly pup.

2 comments:

  1. Really wished there had been pics but enjoyed your post nontheless. Can't wait to see what adventures lie in store for you and the dogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad Katana is doing well I'm sure over time his recall will get better and stuff.

    Neat about the Turkeys Saya has never seen turkeys before she seen gooses and ducks though so I can kinda guess how she would react.

    Saya helps keep Canadian goose out of my pond. I don't mind ducks so I have her leave those alone, but goose she can chase them if she wants to. She seems to love it and runs them off.

    She seen goose at the park, but didn't act too crazy just watched and came to me when I called her.

    That's good Conker barked at the turkey! :)

    Saya barks, whines, screams when she trees a squirrel though Saya is a bit of a vocal shiba she loves to yodel and greet growl when she sees people she likes. haha

    Luckily she is silent other then greeting, treeing and alerting of skunk..

    ReplyDelete