Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Conker has Luxating Patella.

He occasionally dislocates his knees when he runs fast over rough terrain, changes directions rapidly and plays really rough with other dogs.  It's happened while playing with me once.


I can manually move both knee caps when his legs are fully extended.  He doesn't notice so I'm sure he's not in a lot of pain.  I'm pretty sure the right one is worse than the left and is the most common one to slip out of place.  Sometimes he'll sit and it will go back into place, I can hear a pop when that happens.  If I extend his leg and slip the patella back into place it doesn't pop.  He always tries to keep playing but will come over to me when it happens if it doesn't go back into right away.
He doesn't limp, cry or really notice except for the fact that he can't use his leg all of a sudden.

 His knees aren't luxated in this picture.

I'll take him to the vet if he ever whines or can't fully walk on it OR if Mom is willing to foot whatever bills might come out of such a visit.  But right now, I simply cannot afford to take him in to diagnose a condition I know he has.  I don't know the severity though, that is the biggest problem, and if he needs surgery for it or not.

But for the time being, until I run into some money, I will double his salmon oil and get him a Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplement and monitor his play.  He's not going to like it but he's going to get shorter dog park visits and longer walks.  Less rapid direction change and more straight line stuff for now.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this! But as you know, both my Shibas have it, and while Bel did have to have the surgery (and will likely have to have the other knee done too), Toby has not had to have it, and may not.

    Unless Conker is in pain, I'd say just wait til you take him into the vet for a regular visit, and let the vet tell you when/if he needs the surgery....

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's pretty good about letting me know when he's in pain (drama king) and has never cried when it's happened. I'm fairly confident he's not in general pain. He walks and runs normally, no bunny hopping or limping unless a knee is dislocated.

    He's probably going to have a checkup around his first birthday, at the beginning of July, so hopefully it won't get worse in those three months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear, I do also hear Glucosamine works to promote joint health as well. I hope it is nothing too serious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. :(

    I'm glad he doesn't seem to be in any pain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for late comment on this.

    Sorry about Conker glad he's not in any big pain or anything.

    Saya has some type of spinal issue or something and feeding raw helps her plus glucososmine and condrotin stuff seems to really help her.

    ReplyDelete