Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Fail Bread

Look at that badass keyboard in the background
I suck at making bread. I have tried several times in the past couple weeks and the result is always the same. Bread don't rise. I've tested the yeast, it works, follow the recipes to the dot, still no rise. So I have (for the time being) given up on rising bread and decided to just go with flat bread. A.k.a. Fail bread.

I prefer to call my fail bread "Puck" bread. Puck since I usually shape it into a round circle that resembles a hockey puck. It's also quite dense, another reason for calling it a puck, but still good enough to eat. I am going to explore what I can do with puck breads and hopefully I'll come up with one that is good enough to share.


So... Why make bread?
1. I like to make and experiment with things, and food is a big interest of mine. Has been for a while.
2. I generally disagree with how food is handled in this country (industrialization of food = stupid idea) and the more processed a food item is, the more likely I'm not going to eat it. But bread is pretty processed, even if homemade, right? Wrong! Homemade bread is way less processed, and it doesn't include ingredients I am trying to avoid since I can control what goes into it. (Another reason why I prefer to make my dog's food, too.)
3. I am trying to avoid wheat. And I love bread, but when you take wheat away, bread goes too. Why avoid wheat? I'm not allergic to it (that I know of) and I'm certainly not gluten intolerant, but I have noticed that whenever I eat wheat (or something that's highly processed) it has, difficulties, coming out. 
4. I love rye and oats, and 100% rye or oat bread doesn't seem to exist anymore.

1 comment:

  1. I have trouble making bread but I blame it on my altitude (9,500 feet tends to do that to EVERYTHING I bake) but I wish you luck and LOL at 'fail bread' comment.

    P.S. that keyboard is pretty awesome ;)

    ReplyDelete