Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Kibble Trials: Natire's Variety: Results

The Nature's Variety trail went quite well. Conker never refused to eat the food (I think he might have, given enough time eating the same thing over and over again. He's not into that.) and had no transition period. He went straight from raw food to NV with no problems whatsoever.

The Kibble
The 4.5 pound bag and three cans lasted about 25 days. Longer than I thought, but I did add in cans so that lengthened the trail a bit.

Conker did pretty good on this food, better than I thought he would. Not as good as his normal diet, but good enough for me to really like the results.
He developed a slight "doggy" odor. He doesn't usually have one, and I have noticed that this happens only when he eats commercial foods. It wasn't enough to notice unless you stuck your face into his fur.
His poop was nice and small, but bigger than usual. It was not nasty smelly though, which is a plus.
Conker did develop some gross on his teeth but I was easily able to get it off with a tooth scraper and by giving him some chews.

The Cans
The kibbles are very small and quite dense. The canned food was dense as well, nice and compact instead of icky like most dog food is. It didn't have a terrible odor either.
I did add in a can of Prairie Pork & Sweet Potato which is labeled as a stew, and did look like stew. Conker liked that one a lot.

The kibble and canned
Overall I really liked this food. My only problems with it are some of the nutrient levels. Unlike most dog food companies, Nature's Variety lists the complete nutrient analysis for several of their foods instead of just a guaranteed analysis. I really like this, but at the same time, I was able to fully compare this food to Conker's normal food and I did not like some of the things I saw. (More on this later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment