He was not exactly pleased, but was calm and generally behaved well.
Today's hike was around 5 or so miles, not exactly sure since I was not keeping track. I was too preoccupied with the intensity of the colors around me to care. Within the next few weeks the grass will start to get thicker and everything will get really green.

Ugh, love the colors.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos! I love all the green!
ReplyDeleteAlways enjoy seeing your pictures, both of Conker and the scenery. You also a wonderful bond with Conker. How long did it take you to achieve the bond you have with him?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure how long it took to achieve our bond. I'd say around the time I started hiking off-leash was when it was notable.
DeleteI guess a big part of Conker's obedience off-leash is that I do not rely upon treats to get him to come back. A big motivating factor for him is to just be near me, and I fuel that with what he wants: Freedom and play. Conker loves to move at his own pace, so his reward for a nice heeling session is to be able to do just that. He also loves to play, which is difficult with the leash on, and I use play as a reward for just about everything. I give a lot of praise as well. But treats only come into the picture when we are at home. Most of the time I just forget to bring them, or they are not "valuable" enough to compete with a deer or raccoon.
One thing I tap heavily into is his prey-drive, mainly through various forms of play like fetch-tug and a game of chase (we take turns chasing one another). But on occasion, I reward his obedience with the opportunity to tree a squirrel (which we both stalk and chase). I was in the process of training him to hunt and tree squirrel, but I fear that it will be too hard on his leg to actually use him to hunt around here. The terrain is too rough (when not on hiking trails). He liked that a LOT, so I still allow him to tree on command.
Are those crimson clovers? Those are starting to come up around here. My favorite wildflowers of the year.
ReplyDeleteI don't think so, they look a bit different than crimson clovers. I'll have to find a PNW plant book and see if I can find them in it, I have no idea what they are called.
Delete