![]() |
| 6 of 8 supplements, 2 not pictured |
Fish Oil (large golden soft gels)
Conker gets fish oils for many reasons. The main reason he gets fish oil is that they are a great source of Omega 3 fatty acids which are very important for the living body. Commercially raised meats are very low in O3's, so I supplement with fish oil to replenish them. I also give fish oil since it is good for the skin and coat and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Conker will readily eat these on his own. He likes to pop them.
Vitamin E (not pictured, liquid form)
Vitamin E is also something that is low in factory farmed meats. Omega 3's can deplete the vitamin E in the body, so Conker gets vitamin E since he gets a large amount of fish oils for his size. Vitamin E is an important anti-oxidant so I supplement it to ensure he gets proper levels.
Probiotics (small white capsule)
Conker gets this to ensure he digests his food properly. He does a lot better when he gets probiotics more often than less. Sometimes I do not give him any for a day or two. Probiotics are also good for the immune system.
Chicory Root (not pictured, brown powder)
A type of prebiotic that contains inulin, food for probiotic bacteria. I have noticed an increase in good digestion when Conker gets this. Like the probiotics, he does not always get it daily.
MSM (large white capsule)
Conker gets this due to his Luxating Patella. It is supposedly good for ligaments.
Glucosamine/Chondroitin (brown tablet)
Conker also gets this one due to the LP. Both of these are given as a preventive measure.
Kelp (tiny bit in the center, recently added)
I just started using kelp so I have not noticed anything good yet. I use kelp to supplement iodine. Conker gets 1/4 of a tablet, supplementing about half of his daily requirement.
Green Lipped Mussel (greenish capsule, recently added)
Scientific studies have suggested that this particular critter has beneficial properties, namely joint protection and whatnot. (They also suggest that glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM does relatively little, while GLP is noticeably more effective.) I am experimenting with it to see if it does anything or not. It is relatively inexpensive, and Conker loves the powder.
Two more things I consider (whole food) supplements are canned oysters and clams. I need very small amounts to meet Conker's needs of the nutrients they supply, so it is inexpensive to use them.
Oysters
I give these for their high zinc content, which is pretty low in most meats, even red meats. Conker's coat and nails are in much better condition when he gets oysters.
I could just use a zinc supplement, but Conker really likes his canned oysters.
Clams
Clams are high in iron and also have some copper. I use clams when I feed Conker a lot of poultry and less red meat/hearts. I do not always use them.
I could also get an iron supplement, but I prefer to use whole foods when possible.
I also pull the membranes out of eggshells since I have read that it could be good for the joints.
Gee that's a lot for one dog. But he's a problematic dog. I have no issue with spending a bit more to than usual keep him healthy.
If you would like scientific studies pertaining to specific supplements and their usage, feel free to drop me a comment and I'll post link(s) for you.

I <3 this post!
ReplyDeleteDo you give the oysters and clams raw? No concerns about shellfish parasites?
Can you post the studies for all of these, if it's not too much trouble? I like me the primary sources!
No, I give them canned (cooked). Raw mollusks can carry deadly stuffs, so no raw shellfish for my doggies. When they have been cooked in the canning process they are safe.
DeleteSure, I'll have to gather them up so it might take a bit, but I'll get them up sometime tomorrow. (Today?)
Okay, here's some that I did a quick grab on. Only 43 out of over 400 studies and papers I've got pertaining to just nutrition/health, so if there's something else you'd like to see, let me know! I might have something on it.
DeleteFatty Acids:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdTHFWUkZIOVdTTzZnMVdITTI5MFo5UQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdNzA0aFFrQnZTUktXTGlyM2d2WHgxZw/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdRVcwZ0M1WW44Zzg/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdemZtNlIzYTdMcW8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdcEtpQUJwUlNzN3c/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdMnhEeHBGdUh6eWM/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdMkU5MkRLamVOZXc/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdR3hnSVFSOHpRbk0/edit?usp=sharing
Vitamins/Anti-Oxidants:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdYWtSYnphSGxSLU81MjA3bFNYUEV4dw/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdMHBhNEVVVElRdm1ETTBHd3VCRFFxQQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdYTlCWkZnd1F1cm8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdTlJWc290aTFUTDQ/edit?usp=sharing
Minerals:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdU2JuOFBLbU82aG8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdSkhUT1Z3UEhUUDA/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPddzlqWGdPaURSay1NcW5KUjRtb2I4Zw/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdNU9lV3dnZzlZZWs/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdZXg5ZGJ0MUNza2c/edit?usp=sharing
Skin/Coat:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdYTVMa0Y5MlBUdTZOUERXSFU0UHAwdw/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdcnNsOGplYVlBN2c/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdREpEM2NXNTJvYVk/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdWnNfQnBjLVZGcTQ/edit?usp=sharing
Joint:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdbmJyTEVaVG1TSXc/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdVDJFd0tqMmhiWmc/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdNmRzb2ZxU1JOTHc/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdVUhpU3FYdTlUZVU/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdZlJjQ1NPQU51RzA/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdZXJWaFd0a25WQlk/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdbktYeWpPdmVZWmc/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdMEx4dXEwUkhwWUU/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdRkxfMFdXVklPazQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdeDlRcGVOZi1Da3c/edit?usp=sharing
Digestion:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdSmt4N2lyMHM1TW8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdYTVaeFJmQ0lEa1E/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdZ0JlWUFYeUdWQm8/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPda3hoTHhtNGZKTlE/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdUnFxTFB4Vi1XalE/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdUGt6ZEpWRm8xZXM/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdR1RtekFTcXYxVzQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdSTBDNDBNdXFZSEk/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdWEhlQnVXNm9WZ2s/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdQ3NBUndIVGtQNFE/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdREVSUWdkYnZDc2c/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5iLESopkbPdVWtGQUwwdThlcXc/edit?usp=sharing
If you can't tell, I have a strong bias towards collecting fatty acid, joint, and digestion stuff...
DeleteFuck yeah. Thanks! Have you considered using diigo? I use it to bookmark, upload and highlight a bunch of papers and websites.
DeleteAlso, how much fish oil do you give?
I've never heard of it. I'll have to look into it.
DeleteConker gets two 1,200mg capsules every day. They each have about 300 mg of EPA and DHA combined. One capsule (1,000mg is fine) would probably be good for Lobo unless he develops a condition that would warrant doubling the dose.
Also, this is where I've gotten a load of my information:
http://cynoanarchist.wordpress.com/studies-and-info/
The blog is no longer updated but is still a very good source of interesting posts pertaining to many things.
Some of of my other big-time sources are:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/
http://jn.nutrition.org/
http://www.nutritionj.com/
http://www.journals.elsevier.com/nutrition/
http://www.ivis.org/home.asp
Do you have a particular reason for preferring glucosamine in solid form? And is that just glucosamine/chondroiton, or a flavor tab? What brand?
ReplyDeleteNo reason other than it was in the cupboard and nobody else was using it. (I do prefer the liquid stuff though.) I don't remember the brand, I think it might have been Trader Joes. The bottle has no brand label anymore, just the ingredient panel thing. I ran out of the doggy stuff and didn't want to get more so I'm using those up while I have them, mainly to test their effectiveness. And yeah, it's just glucosamine/chondrioitin. I prefer when it's got MSM in it too, that is why I also give that.
DeleteIt is beet flavored I guess, since that is what gives it it's color. Conker thinks it is meh.
I have been giving Green Lipped Mussel for about year or so maybe year and half.. Saya likes it's taste.
ReplyDeleteNot sure if it helps her she also gets elk velvet antler supplement superflex brand there is other brands out there too. I like this as it has minimal ingredients.
Saya likes the elk stuff too at first she didn't so I had mix it with stuff, but now she eats it like a treat.
Hope the green lipped mussel helps Conker. Saya has been doing great and she can move around pretty well and spend outside doing various things..
do you use a particular probiotic?
ReplyDeleteNo. I've used a couple brands, and I usually go with whatever's cheapest and works.
DeleteA pet-specific one was made by Ark Naturals. It worked nicely, but is not exactly cheap compared to some human-grade brands. Nowadays though I just pick up something from the grocery.