Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Out and about

Today Conker and I meandered downtown to get some chicory. I have not been successful in finding any wild chicory on my hikes (I've seen it before, last year, but not this year) so I had to get some from the herb shop instead.

Conker did alright when I left him outside the shop. He was not happy about it, but he did not bark or whine while I was inside.

It was warmer than I thought it would be today (yay!) so we stopped at a coffee shop to get a smoothie. Conker waited patiently for a lick of whipped cream.

He got to clean the cup out as well. He thought that was awesome.

While I was deciding what to get, some hobolady came up to us and started talking to me.
"Hey, that's a Dingo. Didn't you know? It's from Australia. It's a Dingo. You gotta watch out for aggression, 'cause it's a wild dog. It's a Dingo from Australia."
She also informed me that because Conker was shy, he was abused. Erm, no, that's not quite right either...

On the way home we found some hot pink trees. I had Conker pose under them.

We took a detour towards the petshop, and I accidentally said "Kitty." and send Conker into a hunting spree.

Conker, like usual, did not exactly enjoy being in the petshop, but he got a few treats from the employees so it was worth it.

And that's about the jist of what happens when Conker and I go out and about in GP.

11 comments:

  1. Fun!

    Everyone's a dog expert, dontcha know?

    We've obviously beaten Neeko, because she's headshy :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah, those "dog experts' sure know what they're talkin about! The person who owns the dog don't know squat!

      Yes, you beat Neeko, just like Conker AND Juneau have been abused... Our poor poor dogs.
      We've had Juneau since she was a tiny pup and she has NEVER been abused, yet so many people think she has. Juneau is very, soft? Very sensitive to your emotions. The smallest hint of anger will make her cower.
      Conker's issue his his lack of socialization as a pup, and since he's just a jerk and don't give a hoot about strangers talking to, let alone touching him.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Somebody I know frequently calls him my Japanese Dingo.

      Delete
  3. The second and third pictures are so cute. :)

    I think Shibas look a lot more like dingos than foxes, honestly. Still, nothing like people trying to explain your own dog to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, they do look a hellova lot more like a Dingo than a fox. They are more closely related to Dingoes than a lot of other dog breeds, actually. I point that out to some people who ask.

      Delete
  4. Haha "kitty". Is that your key word for letting go chase a cat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't like it when he chases cats. I wouldn't care if they were feral and didn't run across the street, but they are owned and their people get pissed when he chases the cats.
      He learned it from Juneau. People would see a cat and tell Juneau about the kitty, and she would get really excited about it. (No thanks so my sister who let her out to chase a cat a few times.) Conker quickly caught on and gets more excited than Juneau whenever someone says kitty. See, chasing prey is one thing, but chasing prey that fights back, that's a whole 'nother level. One which Conker seems to strive to achieve.

      I am trying to transfer kitty over to squirrels since I would still like to hunt with Conker (we've done it a few times) but his cat-drive is far greater than his squirrel-drive. So, my hope is that he'll eventually think squirrels are just as good at cats and will readily tree and bark at them. Even though they rarely fight back.

      And that is why he's got just about zero recall with cats and raccoons. Simply because they fight back when caught and that's what he seems to enjoy about it. Everything else he's gold.

      Delete
    2. Sounds about right! lol. Cats and Golden Retrievers are one thing, cats and Shibas are another thing entirely. You should tell people that they're lucky that Conker is around to condition their cats, or they might not be as scared when something that can catch them comes along. So you're actually doing them a favor!

      Delete
  5. You should've said "Nope, he's not a dingo. He's the emperor." Oh man, what I'd give to see the look on hobolady's face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA I should have! I'll try to remember to do that next time someone suggests he's something other than The Emperor of Badass.
      That is totally what I'm going to inscribe on his tag when I get the blanks.

      Delete