| Vital rolls on the bottom. |
Turkey Ingredients:
Turkey,Turkey Liver, Spinach, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pomegranate, Carrageenan, Natural Flavors, Broccoli, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Green Tea Extract.
Beef & Bison Ingredients:
Bison, Beef, Beef Liver, Spinach, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pomegranate, Carrageenan, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors, Broccoli, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Green Tea Extract.
Vitamins:
Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid.
Minerals:
Calcium Sulfate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.
Turkey Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 6.0%
Crude Fat (min) 4.0%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.5%
Moisture (max) 78.0%
Beef & Bison Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 8.5%
Crude Fat (min) 7.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 1.0%
Moisture (max) 76.0%
On the roll and website it states that a 21-40 pound dog should get 1/2 to 1 pound daily. I gave Conker just over 1/4 of a pound for the first couple days since he also got a piece of turkey neck. For the last bits of the roll he got 1/2 pound.
| Vital turkey roll. |
The worst part of the transition was a little incident that occurred when I was giving Conker a taste test of the Turkey recipe. I gave him a piece by hand, the bowl was on the floor, and let him try it. He liked it, so I gave him another piece. After I saw how quickly he ate it I figured I should move him to my room so he wouldn't savage the Girls like he sometimes does with food he really likes.
Well, he didn't like my hand grabbing his bowl and instead of savaging the Girls' faces, he savaged my left index finger. He sliced it open in three places.
So if that doesn't give you an idea of how much Conker liked this food (enough to guard against me), then I don't really know what else to say about that.
Note:
This was entirely my fault. I should have told him to leave the bowl and move it away with my foot first instead of just reaching for it with my hand. Conker is very good about not guarding food from me but with newer stuff, especially stuff he really really likes, sometimes he slips up a bit.
Like the Complete Meals, Conker got a bit of a funk in his fur. It wasn't very noticeable unless you pet him a lot or shoved your nose into his fur but the trade-off was again a lack of super rancid farts. He didn't lick his front paws as much as he did on the Complete Meals but he still did a bit more than normal. It might have just been a lingering effect from the chicken in the Complete Meals or he could have also had some sort of problem with something in the rolls. I don't know what caused it but since he doesn't eat Vital full-time I won't worry about it.
Like I said before, if it weren't for the lack of stores carrying the Vital line, it would probably be a regular or occasional part of Conker's diet.
I might use something in the Select line for times when Conker has to be watched by someone who wasn't comfortable feeding raw food. The one store that carries it does have the beef kind, which is probably what I'd use with Conker. It costs about $4.99 for 1 1/2 pounds and 14.99 for 6 pounds.
So that's it for my Freshpet review! I really liked this food so if you can get it in your area and don't mind spending a bit more for your dog's (or cat's) food or just want to give them something different on the weekend, I highly recommend you try Freshpet.
In case you missed them, here's Part 1 and Part 2 of the Freshpet review.
No comments:
Post a Comment