Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Hardware Store

I took Conker to the Home Depot today. This was his first time ever going into a hardware store. I thought he was going to utterly hate it, he's not fond of buildings in general, let alone buildings that are usually noisy, but I gave it a shot anyways.
I first walked by the door and read the signs posted on it, one of which said "No Pets!" yet another said "Dogs must be on leash." So I was confuzed if dogs were or weren't allowed inside. I asked the greeter and he said that dogs were allowed, as long as they were leashed and didn't cause any issues. So I went back to the Jeep and retrieved Conker.

He was not exactly thrilled to be there, but he did a lot better than I expected. His tail only dropped when a supertall employee walked past and said hello to him, but he was generally curious, cautious, but curious, about the store. That's good, usually he shows no interest in anything but the door.

So Conker and I walked around Home Depot for a bit, picked up an electrical timer device, bought it (no treats at the register, they were out) then went back home.

The device is for the freezer. The thing runs constantly, it doesn't turn off even when it reaches the desired temperature, so I did a few experiments with unplugging it for certain periods of time and monitoring the internal temperature. I am going to try setting it to run for 30 minutes every hour and a half and see how well that maintains the temperature. If it needs more time running, or less, I'll adjust from there. But from what I gathered from my initial experiments, I think this will work fine. (And save money too.)


In other news...
All the dogs are digesting their food fine now with no signs of whatever the problems were. They are being transitioned back to their kibbles and will be fully transitioned tomorrow. I will hold off on add-ins for a few days, then test a couple items one at a time to see what could have been the trigger. Right now I am thinking it was the eggs, so I will test those first.

3 comments:

  1. You can get a thermostat like they use for beer-making to set a freezer/fridge at a specific temp. The freezer plugs into the thermostat, which then turns it on and off to maintain the temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homedepot can be hit or miss if they allow dogs or not.. One near me doesn't, but the Lowes by me allows them in the garden area which is fine I don't usually need go in main part as mom is one that goes to there to get few things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seemed pretty glad that I brought Conker in. One dude was almost advertising Home Depot as a good place to socialize a dog, and the register lady apologized many times that she did not have a treat for him. I doubt Conker would have taken it anyways, he is very particular about who he'll take treats from, and it's usually only people he's met several times who have not tried to pet him.

      Delete