Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Somehow, this thing passed the CGC

'Ey
Conker the Shiba Inu is now a Canine Good Citizen! It's just a certificate, not anything special (and I think that titles mean just about nothing anyways) but for Conker, this is a pretty big thing.

I never really talked (on the blog) about just how bad Conker was when I got him. Think Shiba Inu puppy, that is four months old, with absolutely NO bite inhibition, terribly food aggressive towards anything that moves, not house-trained, has no manners, and is afraid of everyone but me... Basically, he was part-feral (I truly mean that), and he was a big project right from the get-go.

The worst bit was the stranger fear. It is still an ongoing process, but Conker has made some pretty big improvements in the last few months.  Conker had gotten to the point that he was good enough around strange people, where as long as they didn't bother him, that he was fine with them being close to him. As in standing right beside him. That was HUGE for Conker, and I took that as a sign that he might be ready for CGC.
He was not overly fond of the training classes we took, but by the end he would accept two of the trainers with no issue, and one of the others with only a small amount of shying away. (One of the trainers and several handlers he still would not allow to pet or groom.) Conker was even okay with being left alone for 3 minutes with some nice elderly ladies, one of whom just adored Shibas.

Anyways, I'm glad that Conker was able to pass this thing. I still have a few things I need to work on him with but I really did not think that he would be able to pass the CGC this soon. It's been just shy of two years that I've had him, and in that time he's gone from being a wild, snapping, biting, fearful, maniac to what the AKC conciders to be a good citizen.

I don't think he'd have passed if they saw how he can be at home though... He's still got a bit of that feral side in him.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats, Conker CA, CGC and Losech! It will be 2 year anniversary for me and Koji in about 2 months. When did you get Conker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Conker on October 28th 2010, so a little over a month to go until our two year anniversary.

      Delete
  2. I think it's a great milestone! Congrats Conker, and you too!

    The main reason I would want to get CGC for the dogs is to see if it would make househunting easier, when I eventually have to relocate. I would prepare pet resumes and be ready to put down additional deposits anyway, etc., but I would wonder if it would open any doors to be able to point out that the dogs have this outside evaluation affirming their "good citizenship."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off topic, but what kind of harness thing is Conker wearing in this picture? It looks..interesting :P

    ReplyDelete