Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

Pre-weekend hikes

Yesterday and today Conker and I did 4.75 and 7 miles on our evening hikes. We hadn't gone on any hikes this week, for no reason, so I wanted to get some in before the weekend hit.

Obligatory pick-nick table Shiba.

Going up Hogback. It's one of the steeper "average" trails at Cathedral Hills. I don't particularly like this section very much, but Conker likes to take it. He doesn't care for the hill (unless we are going down it) but likes the parts after it.

The top of Hogback. I like the top of the Hogback trails since they are on top of ridges (hogbacks?) and you can see the rest of the forest from them. There is usually wind up on them.

The wind was sweeping along this section, and Conker was pausing frequently to sniff it. There must have been some interesting scents, since he stopped for very long periods of time.

I just like this picture.

Conker investigates a scent.

There have been a number of fires in the area lately so everything had a layer of haze over it. The smoke was only barely detectable (by me).

Conker started today's hike by taking a dirt bath. I guess he was not satisfied with his clear sable coat and wanted a shaded sable (sesame) coat. There is still dirt in his fur. I might need to give him a rinse soon.

He is getting more and more comfortable ranging out from me. He stops to check my whereabouts quite often so I let him go out pretty far if the trail is not too curvy. (This is not far at all, it's only about 30 feet or so. He goes out a LOT farther than that at times.)

We stopped on this bench for a water and scenery break.

The sun made the trees appear as if there was a large fire behind them.

The sunsets were pretty good on both days, thanks to the smoke haze that stuck around.

2 comments:

  1. Conker looks good as a sesame. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pictures! Saya never takes dirt baths though she digs in dirt and gets the dirt all in her face, arms, chest and nose. lol

    Glad Conker doing well.

    ReplyDelete