Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Honest Kitchen: Verve Taste Test

In my first order of The Honest Kitchen products I received a 4 ounce trial of Verve.  My little box was a little outdated, since the ingredients were in a slightly different order but I will go by the updated ones on the website.

Verve comes in a red box.
Ingredients:
Dehydrated beef, organic oats, organic rye, organic flaxseed, potatoes, carrots, organic alfalfa, eggs, apples, parsley, cranberries, spinach, chicory, rosemary, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, zinc amino acid chelate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, potassium iodide, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein, 22.5% min
Fat, 8.5% min
Fiber, 5.8% max
Moisture, 8.5% max
(I left out the other stuff intentionally)

The ingredients look pretty good.  Like all of The Honest Kitchen's foods, this one is a bit heavy on the grains and other things instead of meat but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.  My only problem is with the potatoes, but I have noticed that certain types of potatoes and ways they are cooked don't seem to affect Conker like others.

Verve in dry form (Keen behind, Thrive beside)
Conker has grown accustomed to me preparing his Honest Kitchen but hasn't gotten used to how long it can sometimes take.  He was quite impatient while I was preparing Verve both days he got it.  The initial test went awesome (spoonful) so I allowed him to fully try out the Verve.
Conker LOVED it!  I think more than the Keen but I will have to pit them against each other at a different time.  I've run out of Verve.

At $32.25 for 4 pounds and $60 for 10 pounds (website prices) Verve is the second cheapest of The Honest Kitchen's Formulas.  I am glad since Conker enjoyed it so much and didn't have any adverse reactions to the ingredients, that I know of. 

Verve isn't as "fluffy" as Keen.
Of the four Honest Kitchen varieties I have had Conker try, Verve smelled the least offensive.  They don't smell bad anyways, but Verve's smell wasn't as strong as Zeal or Keen.  Conker didn't much care and liked the Verve so much that he cleaned his bowl better than he normally does when he gets Keen.


Here's a video of Conker trying some Verve.


He knew I was going to give him a beef rib after the Verve, that is why he's eating so quickly and impatiently.

No comments:

Post a Comment