I read a lot of books. A lot of books. Something like, 5-8 books? 7 books. I started reading books before I took a blogging break though, so I can't count all them them during the past week.
Lets see... I read: Dog Sense, Born to Run, Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats, The Hunger Games, The Social Lives of Dogs, Pack of Two, and Through the Eyes of a Dog.
I currently have on hold at the library: How the Dog Became the Dog. It needs to hurry up and get returned so I can read it.
Because of the shoulder/neck/arm issue, I spent very little time on the computer for the first few days, less than 20 minutes a day. I gradually began to increase the time until I found that I can go an hour to two till my shoulder begins to tell me to get off. If I refrain from putting my left arm up on the desk (required for typing, unfortunately) then I can go a bit longer. But even if I leave my arm off the desk for the entire time, it's sitting at the comp (no matter where I put my arm) that makes it hurt so I can't spend as much time on it as I would my own currently-dead computer.
Yay. I am so excited. </sarcasam>
I bought a thingy, doggy diner? Dish holder, at Ross, for $8. It came with two bowls, a ball (dead) a rope toy (almost dead), and some rawhides. And a lot of paper stuff, crinkled shredded stuff. Like the stuff that's in Easter baskets, but made out of paper.
The diner-holder is not metal colored anymore though, I "painted" it black with rattle-can PlastiDip so it wouldn't clink when Conker eats. The noise bugged him enough that he wouldn't eat if a bowl was in it so I had to fix it somehow.
I also bought a heavy-duty stainless bowl that I am now obsessed with for about $3.50.
The dogs all got some raw food. The Girls got: Pork, chicken bones, ground beef, canned mollusks, gizzard, heart, liver. Conker got: chicken leg, pork, other stuff...
Conker made a funny face.
Got a picture of Conker looking bizarre (and kinda fat) while checking out a Kong.
The dogs got some more raw food. This time chicken boobs with the usual nonsense.
I have begun to train Juneau to tolerate the sound of a cap gun, with hopes that she will be able to eventually progress to gunfire (fireworks make her shake, so maybe not) so I can use her as a Coot retriever this upcoming waterfowl season. I am doing it by getting her into the retrieving mode by having her play with a toy, then giving her lots of praise and having her focus on the toy, then firing the cap gun, more praise, and chucking the toy before she has a chance to flip out. So far it's working. Conker doesn't seem to care either way.
If she ends up getting stuck at the sound of actual gunfire, I will attempt to train Conker to do water retrieves, but I have high doubts that will actually work. He will retrieve, in shallow water, sometimes, if he wants to, and maybe-sorta-not-really brings things back. He is fine with loud noises, much moreso than Juneau, and I think he would adapt to gunfire a hellova lot easier than she would, but he won't leap into freezing water deeper than he is tall without a second thought like Juneau will.
He would be a better squirrel dog. He loves to tree things, and barks up a storm when he does.
The furnace has finally been fixed. No more staying up late tending the fire. I miss the fire, it has much better warmth than the furnace, and I am very well adapted to this nocturnal schedule of sleeping from 10AM to 6PM and being awake during the evening, night, and early morning. Anytime I try to break it, I fail dramatically and revert back to "normal" within a day.
Oh, and these things don't seem to know what "Leave me alone." means anymore. Seriously. Everywhere I go, they are there. Following, no, STALKING me, and staring at me like their lives depend on getting one more, no, two more, scratches before I send them off to do something that does not intrude upon my book reading.
The last picture is cute reminds me of Bella my parent's boxer she loves getting attention and getting petted.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your hunting stuff.
https://www.excellentgundog.com/
ReplyDeleteThe last image is far too cute... reminds me of my own velcro dog... who steps on my heels with pointy claws as I walk through the house. Sigh. :P
ReplyDelete