I have found the brands that I am going to include in the trials. I have a small group to chose from, due to there being no "boutique" style dog shops in GP (maybe I should like, open one, or something) that carry higher end, "natural", holistic, or whatever you want to call it, brands of kibble. The stuff without the cruddy ingredients.
Anywho, I chose several brands, eight to be exact, that will be tested sometime or another. There are several others that I may try if Conker shows that he can handle kibble. If not, they won't be included.
The criteria for the kibbles I chose are:
Must be locally available. This one is a biggie, since I hate ordering stuff online.
Cost no more than $20 for a 4-7 pound bag, and less than $1.25 per cup.
Have more protein than carbs. Slightly more carbs is permissible. (Calorie Weighted Basis)
Contain quality ingredients that have absolutely NO: Wheat, corn, soy, unnamed meats or by-products.
Chicken and potatoes are permissible, but preferably not included.
The kibbles that fit that criteria that I can get locally are:
EVO: Herring & Salmon and Red Meat
6.6 pounds for $19, $.81 per cup, $2.87 per pound, about 18 days of food
Protein:37 Fat:41 Carb:17
Nature's Variety Instinct: Salmon
4.4 pounds for $19, $1.14 per cup, $4.31 per pound, about 11 days of food
Protein:31 Fat:47 Carb:23
(I have a $3 off coupon, and it's currently on sale)
Wellness CORE: Ocean
4 pounds for $16, $.92 per cup, $4.00 per pound, about 10 days of food
Protein:32 Fat:37 Carb:31
(also on sale)
Canidae pure: LAND and SEA
5 pounds for $16, $.81 per cup, $3.20 per pound, about 15 days of food
Protein:30 Fat:37 Carb:33
Solid Gold: Barking at the Moon
4 pounds for $17, $.91 per cup, $4.25 per pound, about 13 days of food
Protein:46 Fat:22 Carb:24
Fromm Four Star: Surf & Turf
4 pounds for $13, $.61 per cup, $3.25 per pound, about 12 days of food
Protein:27 Fat:42 Carb:31
Blue Buffalo Wilderness: Salmon
4.5 pounds for $19, $1.12 per cup, $4.20 per pound, about 10 days of food
Protein:33 Fat:35 Carb:32
Before Grain: Salmon and Buffalo
6.6 pounds for $18, $.64 per cup, $2.72 per pound, about 16 days of food
Protein:31 Fat:35 Carb:34
I am a bit reluctant to include the Before Grain kibble since the second ingredient in both the Salmon and Buffalo formulas is chicken meal, which renders it a good portion of the food. But I liked the protein to carb ratio compared to some others I researched so I stuck it in there as a strong possibility.
I will be noting any changes that happen to Conker during the trials, with special attention given to: Digestibility (includes poop facts), plaque and overall tooth health, smell (Conker has none), and amount needed to maintain a healthy weight.
Each kibble will be fed as long as it lasts and Conker digests it well. If he can't seem to digest it good, it will be dropped and fed to the Girls. Kibbles that I am unsure of their digestibility or effects at the end of it's trail may be given an extension. Once the trial for that kibble is over, I will switch Conker back to his regular diet so he can "reset" any changes that may have occurred on the kibble until he is in default condition so I can accurately judge each kibble and it's effect on him. Kibbles that I like may be given a longer run at the end of the trials for further analysis.
Due to Conker being a douche and outright refusing to eat his food for several days now, The Kibble Trials begin today.
(He is otherwise normal, healthy, active, and has quite a large apatite. Just not for his food.)
No comments:
Post a Comment