A mentioned sometime earlier, Conker has been found to be able to digest some kibble. I don't know if it's long-term digestibility or what, but I have decided to experiment with it a bit and see how it compares to what he normally gets. I will be taking note of any good or bad physical, energy, or other changes that may occur during the trails.
I have been researching various kibbles for the past few days and have drawn up a list of brands that I am, might, and won't be testing out on him. Most of them are higher-end and a good many grain-free (but that is not a reason for picking them).
Since I have never really thought of feeding Conker a kibble for like, more than a year, I have not done much research into kibbles. All my research has been on individual food items, fats, protein, carbs, energy, and other things like nutrient requirements and signs of deficiency/excess. This whole "dog food" thing is actually very new to me.
I am shooting for kibbles that are priced within $10-20 for a 4-7 pound bag that quality ingredients with no wheat, corn, soy, and preferably, as little chicken and potato as possible, has a good amount of protien, moderate fat (since no kibbles are high-fat) and as low carbs as possible. If they have a canned variety that is not to horribly priced and had a good ratio of fat/protein with again, as few carbs as possible, I will include it in the trails.
I plan on starting the trails in just under a week when my pre-made raw food batch is finished. Or sooner, if Conker keeps up this picky streak he's currently going through.
This is, hopefully, going to be fun.
Good luck, let me know how it goes. I've tried probably 6-8 different grain free foods and keep coming back to Acana because he has the best coat on it and energy level. It also doesent give him eye discharge or bad breath which is a sign of digestive issues with him. But I know it doesent work for your pup.
ReplyDeleteMy parents dog does really well on NV instinct and I like that it has several protein sources to choose from which is great for rotation, they also have 2 LID formulas.
One other food I'm curious to try is Back to Basics, they are one of the few foods that utilize organ meat in their food.
Duck and Chicken Giblets (Livers and Hearts) Duck Meal Chicken Meal Tapioca Peas Dried Whole Egg Pea Protein Duck Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols) Whole Flaxseed Natural Duck Flavor Pea Fiber Menhaden Fish Oil Sunflower Oil Salt Potassium Chloride Choline Chloride Zinc Proteinate Iron Proteinate Vitamin E Supplement L-Carnitine L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C) Manganese Proteinate Biotin Copper Proteinate Niacin Calcium Pantothenate Sodium Selenite Vitamin A Supplement Riboflavin Supplement Vitamin D3 Supplement Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B12 Supplement Calcium Iodate Pyridoxine Hydrochloride Folic Acid