Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

DIY Poop Scooper

Today Conker and I had a relaxation day. I was going to hike but my calves are killing me from yesterday's hike (and since I'd walk/jogged downtown and back the day before) so we took the day off and walked to the petshop instead.

Conker in sepia
I found a large bag of EVO Red Meat for cheap cheap that I stashed in the freezer for later use. I got many stares as I was carrying it back home since it was raining and, well, you don't often see people carrying 30 pound bags of dog food while walking down the street. With a fox Shiba Inu.

Conker and I also went to the hardware store to pick up a few items for a project I had planned out.


Yes yes, I know it's not centered. The camera screen is broken so I cannot see what I am taking a picture of*
DIY poop scooper! You need:

2 wooden dowels, whatever size you like best
1 dust pan, any size that will fit your scooping needs
1 piece of thin metal, about 3x5 or so
screws or nails
something to heat/bend/cut plastic with
something to cut metal with
possibly some duct tape


Step 1.
Cut your wooden dowels to whatever height you like best. My scraper handle is a bit short, so make it a bit longer than "perfect" just in case you screw up

Step 2.
Heat the dust pan's handle so you can bend it at a 90 degree angle, straight upright. Don't do what I did and heat it too much and melt the crap out of it. Nail, screw, or tape your dowel to the dust pan's bent handle.

Alternate Step 2.
Cut the handle off the dust pan (if your dust pan has a flat back, if not, see Step 3). Nail, screw, or tape the dowel to the back of the dust pan.

Step 3.
Cut your metal into the desired shape. A 3x5 chunk should work just fine.  Nail, screw, or tape the other dowel to the top half of the metal. Bend the bottom half ever so slightly, on the side that the dowel is not attached to, towards you.

Step 4.
Go find a pile of poop and test out your new poop scooper!


Poop bucket
I also got a 5 gallon bucket and lid to put the poop in. Use a plastic bag as a liner to keep your bucket cleaner and make it easier to remove the poop once the bucket is full. Also, the lid helps keep the smell down and unwanted things like rain, snow, leaves, dogs, squirrels, little kids, etc. from getting into the poop.


*I'll get better pictures of the scraper and pan when I get around to it.

1 comment:

  1. Love the poop bucket idea I think I'll do that too.

    I hate putting the poop in the trash stinks up the garage so this idea might help me..

    ReplyDelete