Pages

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Kibble Trials: EVO Red Meat Results

Conker Finished that bag of EVO Small bites I got at the Grange a while ago, and has been eating some Large Bites for a short while because it was available in Alaska.

The Large Bites
Conker has done very well on this food, is in great shape with good muscle tone and very little excess fat.
Note: Due to his greatly reduced activity while in Alaska, Conker lost a lot of muscle tone. However, it was amazing beforehand while he was on this food, so I am giving it good marks on the muscle score.
There is almost zero coat smell or grease, an amazing coat actually. Since we'd been in Alaska it had grown in incredibly thick and was very soft and of a nice quality. Very shiny. Shedding out now but is still maintaining it's quality.
His teeth look great, energy is great, poops are good (small, firm, nonsmelly), I really like this food.

Conker usually gets around 1-2 cups (depending on the brand) of kibble, but he needs a bit less of this stuff since it is very calorie dense, so it tends to last quite a long time. I've still got a bit of it left.

Large Bites kibbles
Both the large and small bites are square shaped, the large bites being about 1/2 inch big and the small bites being about 1/4 inch. It has a meaty smell, not too strong or unpleasant.
I soaked the kibbles a few times when Conker would not drink and it would take a long long time for them to fully soak, so they are pretty dense.

Conker really likes the taste if this food. Enough so that I can use it for treats, which is highly unusual for a kibble that he is currently on. That normally does not work with Conker.
He also did not need any pre or probiotics added to this food. He digests it quite well and can make an instant switch to it with no problems. This is always a good thing and something I look for in a food.
Note: This kibble contains probiotics in it already. However, I highly doubt that they actually do anything, so I never depend on probiotics that may be in a kibble and will always add my own if I feel they are needed. Also, I tend to freeze kibble if it is in a larger bag or won't be using it soon, and that will kill the probiotic bacteria and render them useless.

The Small Bites
In general, I find this kibble to be a very good one. The price is on the high side, right at the top of the price range, but I would be able to feed this full-time since Conker does not need a whole lot and I like to add in other things.
I plan on testing out the other two varieties, one fish-based and the other poultry-based once I have gotten through some of the other bags I still have on hand.


Note: I did try out a few cans of this food (beef and fish) and quite like them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment