Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New food for the Girls

Unfortunately, as usual, when money gets tight the dogs get shortchanged. When I came back from Alaska the Girls were eating Benecrap which really ticked me off. "No!" I said to that since there are many brands that cost the same or are cheaper than Benecrap that have much higher-quality ingredients.
Though Taste of the Wild is quite decently priced, I guess it's not "cheap" enough, so they get downgraded to Diamond Naturals. Which isn't a bad kibble, but I really liked how well they did on Taste of the Wild and am a bit annoyed about having to put them on something else.

I got the regular Chicken & Rice as the introductory formula, 40 pounds for $35 $28 on-sale with $1 off coupon from Mini Pet Mart. I wanted to get the Extreme Athlete due to the higher protein and fat content, but it was $6 more and I didn't want to tick Mom off since she said I had to "Get the cheap stuff."
Anyways...


Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, dried plain beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, salt, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein: 26%
Fat: 16%
Calories: 3,708 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup)

This food is basically the grain-inclusive equivalent of Taste of the Wild so I shouldn't have much to complain about. The protein and fat levels are similar to the Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain formulas, which were not my favorite but I still fed them since the Girls did well on them.

I will most likely be trying out the Beef & Rice formula, but not the Lamb & Rice since it's protein content is too low. (I stop at 25% protein. No lower than that.) I might give the Small Breed Lamb & Rice a shot instead since it's got more protein. I might even try out the Small Breed Chicken & Rice since it's ingredients list differs a bit from the regular Chicken & Rice.  I will also be trying out the Extreme Athlete when I've got an extra $6 I can throw in.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry about that. :\

    At least Diamond naturals kibble doesn't look too bad ingredient wise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worlds better than Beneful! My sister feeds this, no issues.

    ReplyDelete