![]() |
| Gobble gobble! |
We found a strange bulbous fungus thing to the side of the trail. It was about the size of a baseball. I have no idea what it is.
Finally, nobody else was on Wildrose! We were not cut off by any horses or growly retrievers and hiked in peace for a while. We did run into a horse (whom we have met before) on the way back, but we had sufficient time to step off the trail and wait for the horse to pass.
Conker loves to find and play with turkey feathers, and I often get a small collection of them on this trail. There are a lot of turkeys at Cathedral Hills, but they favor the Wildrose Loop. Hmm, maybe I should train Conker to track turkey...
Instead of an obligatory pick-nick table picture, you get a stump picture. We found a hollowed out stump and Conker sat in it for some pictures. In this one, he heard something in the forest behind me and was looking for it. The sound was generated by a trio of deer that we stumbled upon shortly after, who Conker did not chase when I told him to "Leave It!" He wanted to, but he stayed put.





Fungus looks like a puffball. If squeezed, it would release a cloud of powdery spores.
ReplyDeletehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffball
Cool! I figured it was probably something like that. From previous experience in the forests of Arizona, I have learned to leave these sorts of things alone lest I pop one and accidentally inhale the spores :x
DeleteStephanie got to it first I was going to tell you not step on them or poke them with stick they have powdery spores.. Luckily I held my breath and got away from it..
ReplyDeleteThe ones in my woods can get big basketball size at least.
I love the pictures very nice I'd love to find turkey feathers.