I have been watching the neighbor's dogs and today decided to take the Husky (who I am basically convinced has some Malamute in him) hiking with Conker and I. Conker is a total ass to Indie through the fence, but Indie just blows him off, which seems to anger Conker even more.
After an initial snarkfest from Conker while I was picking Indie up (this is MY JEEP and you WILL NOT get in it!) the two got along perfectly fine.
Indie's got basically no manners. Despite that, he's a very sweet dog, I like hanging out with him. He was pretty good on the trails too, after we settled out the pulling issue. He doesn't respond to his name at all, but after a few sessions of "Indie, wanna treat?" He started to pay attention to me when I spoke to him.
Conker of course always wanted a treat and paid pretty good attention to me. This is a common "game" we play on the trail so Conker knew to do as I say to get a treat.
Indie discovered the numerous lizards on the trail, and that they are fun to stomp. He'd suddenly veer off to one side, rise up on his hind legs, then STOMP down on the lizards with his front feet. I think he only got a couple, but he sure tried hard to smash them.
Due to the lack of a bell (I left it on Sasha' collar by accident) and since I was not sure how well his foot was, I kept Conker close or at a heel for most of the hike. He was not exactly pleased with that, but he got to sniff and mark all the bushes he wanted so I don't think he's got too much to complain about.
Indie on the other hand, well he stayed on-leash. First off, he's got zero recall. And second, he's not mine. I'm not stupid enough to let a dog with no recall that doesn't belong to me off the leash in an unfenced lizard and squirrel infested forest.
Speaking of squirrels, we saw three, one of which Indie wanted to chase so bad we had to stop and wait for him to chill out before we continued.
We did about 6.5 miles today, which I think could have been a bit much for Indie. I had Indie wear Juneau's harness and leash but not the pack since he's still pretty young and I figured he'd get enough exercise with just a hike. I was right, he's sacked out good right now.





No comments:
Post a Comment