Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Juneau looks for squirrels

I gave the dogs some raw food today. Chicken legs (thigh for Conker), ground beef, lamb liver, beef thymus, green tripe, and egg. This time Conker ate all his share.



The past few weeks (month and before) have been quite hot for Southern Oregon. Hot as in upper 90's through low 100's, which most people here think is hellacious, but I think is fabulous. However, the dogs tend to agree with the Oregonians and don't like to hike during the heat, even if it's cooled off in the evening.
Recently the temperatures have stopped going into the 100's and stayed in the low 90's, and the evenings are cool enough for the dogs, which is why I have begun to hike then. Plus there are relatively few people at Cathedral Hills in the evening for some reason and I always try to go when it's the least crowded.

The day before yesterday I called Juneau off a squirrel she'd spotted in a tree. Today she was obsessed with finding another one and was constantly stopping to look up at the trees.

Constantly.

This happened a lot.

Sasha was her usual oblivious self. So oblivious that she was almost ran over by two separate mountain bikers. She ignored me half the time when I called her, and looked ever so derpish the other half. I need to work on her recall if she's gonna keep coming on hikes. (So much for being a Canine Good Citizen.)

Conker and Sasha are also in this picture. They is hiding.
Juneau was very energetic on this hike. It could have been the cooler temperatures, or the possibility of treeing another squirrel. Whatever it was, she only stood still long enough to get a look at something then was blasting off down the trail again. Conker was almost as energetic as Juneau. Just toss in a dash of asshole to make up the difference. (He was pretty idiotic to Juneau today.)

I got a semi-decent picture of Sasha's profile. It shows her tuck a bit, and how much better she looks as a fit dog instead of fat dog. She was doing a lot of running up with Juneau (she usually hangs back with me) so she was exceptionally tired after today's hike.

I try to pick the best pictures to post for the Obligatory shots, but sometimes I have to choose a goofy one. Just look at Juneau's expression. There was nothing interesting behind me so I have no idea what was making her eyes bug out like that.

The sunset was unspectacular due to the lack of clouds. Or pollution, which can make some fabulous sunsets with the right consistency. We hiked about 6.25 miles today, which is the longest hike this week so far. I'd like them to be longer but things like horses (I will switch trails if possible to avoid them), Conker picking a non-plotted trail (I let him decide a lot of the time, he has definite favorites), or time constraints (I have somewhere to be, sun going down when I have no reflectors) have cut most of them short.
I'm hoping to get in a 10 mile hike soon. They are difficult to do at Cathedral Hills since that often means backtracking and I really hate doing that.

3 comments:

  1. Love the pics, especially the bench one. What type of harness/backpacks are Juneau and Sasha wearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are Ruff Wear Web Master harnesses. Conker's is a very old model. Ruff Wear came out with new ones this year, so the Girl's harnesses are now old models too.
      Juneau's is actually a Palisades pack which has removable bags, and Sasha's is an Approach. I modified the Approach so the bags can come off like the Palisades. Normally they are attached to the harness but I wanted to be able to use the harness on it's own.
      I really love the Ruff Wear stuff. It's very durable and well worth the price. (But I cheat and buy it on sale at sites like this one.)

      Delete
  2. Saya is same way except she looks for both squirrels and rabbits! lol

    She got one rabbit today and still wanted to find another after I put the rabbit in freezer. She was tired from running to find the rabbit so I had call her back and had her rest in the shade with me.

    She will check each spot she saw a rabbit last or rabbit nest.

    Coarse rabbits seem to hang out in same area so she sometimes get lucky and gets to go after the critter.

    Very nice hiking pictures.

    ReplyDelete