Pages

Friday, March 29, 2013

Mince Mix #2

Today I mixed up another batch of mince for Conker. (Sorry, no pictures this time.)  It was relatively the same so I wouldn't be re-introducing too many "new" things at once.
I used two very large chicken quarters, about two pounds of pork meat, some turkey gizzards, hearts, a dash of liver, half a can of baby clams, half a can of pink salmon, and a tin of sardines. I did not have quite enough beef liver so I added in what I had and will put a small chunk in each meal when I get more.

Conker really loves canned fish, particularly mackerel and salmon. He likes sardines a lot, but not as much as the other two fish, which is why I added a bit more than"normal". I wanted him to like this mix.
I sometimes add a spoonful or two of plain whole-milk yogurt, and he always gets an egg and his various supplements (fish oils, vitamin E, joint stuff, digestion stuff...) added in when I feed him.
He scarfed today's mix down much faster than the previous one, so I'm guessing he really liked the addition of canned fish!

I will be gradually re-introducing oatmeal to his meals, starting with 1/4 cup and increasing from there. In the past Conker has done fine with oatmeal, and I'd like to include it again, but I'll find something else if he (for some random reason) cannot tolerate it well.


The next mix will include beef instead of pork. We'll see what he thinks when he's done with this batch.

4 comments:

  1. Hope he likes batch with beef in it. :)

    Saya and Bella loves caned fish too. they shared caned mackerel today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the oatmeal for fiber/bulk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. It supplies manganese and magnesium that would otherwise be lacking in his diet. It also adds a few minerals and some B vitamins.
      I base my dog's diet largely off scientific research, but I also incorporate a lot of natural history into it. Hence why it is raw instead of cooked, or that I use items with bone in them instead of bonemeal or calcium supplements.
      Also, he's in a bit better condition when he gets oats than when he does not.

      Delete
  3. I'm happy your picky boy liked it!!

    ReplyDelete