Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Off-Leash Derps

Went hiking today. 

And brought all three dogs with me.

This could easily have gone terribly wrong since I decided to let all of them off their leashes.  Much to my complete surprise, Juneau responded faster than the other two.  Sasha just derped around and Conker was his normal Shiba self who contemplated commands before obeying them.

We only hiked about 3 or so miles on the Outback Loop and Bridges trails.  It was still pretty fun and thankfully we didn't run into any people or the two horses that were on the trails. 
Juneau was a bit scatterbrained when it came to smelling critter trails and shoving her stupid face into the burr grass and getting burrs stuck allover her dumbness, but she was good enough that I never had to permanently put her back on the leash (me holding it).  I think with a bit more training that she could be a good off-leash dog, but for the time being she gets to wear the leash and just drag it around since she is a lot better with it like that.

This picture took more than 10 tries to get.

4 comments:

  1. Cute picture of the three.

    Conker does well even if there's birds or squirrels around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Conker does great. He will look at the critter but won't give chase if I tell him to leave it. He's had a rabbit run right in front of him and didn't chase it. Birds are a bit tough for him but he's getting good enough that I often don't even have to say anything to him.

    Juneau on the other hand... She sees something she's gone, that's why I don't like having her off-leash. Keeping the leash on and letting her drag it somehow makes her respond a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha "burrs stuck allover her dumbness"

    I'm impressed with all that off leash fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Saya loves big birds like vultures, hawks, and crows. She used to try chase robins, but she now leaves them alone.

    Rabbits are her temptation though, but she is getting better with ignoring them.

    Saya had some fun in the brush and she had so many burrs on her it was nuts. I had to have her lay down there were even on her belly. I guess that's what she gets for wondering in the woods.

    I'm glad Conker is a well behaved boy. :)

    I'm so suprised how well Saya listens to me and comes and stuff. I keep her on long leash in fields most times because deer sometimes come through and we haven't seen too many deer to work on ignoring them.

    ReplyDelete