Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Spoils of the Saturday "Grower's" Market

My farmer's market is stupid. They call themselves the grower's market, since there is a store called Farmer's Market and I guess they don't want to associate with it.

I walked down there today to have a look around.  It was mostly veggies (everybody claimed to be organic), pastry and crafty crap.  I was looking for meat, and the only meat I found was just that.  Meat.  The beef was horrendously expensive, another guy was selling halves and quarters of beef and pork, the "organic" chicken was so expensive, and the only organ meats anyone had (chicken livers and heart, which I have plenty of) were so high I'd pass even if I ate it myself!  There was some rabbit but it was over $5 a pound.

So I meandered over to the only stall I've ever bought anything from and was greeted by a very outgoing, talkative and young salesman in a big straw hat.
I came home with this.

Spoils for Conker
I got three pig ears, three beef trachea and three tendon chews.  Conker has had the trachea before but he's never gone for a pig ear, and it's been a long time since he's had a tendon thing, other than a bully stick.
And when offered the pile of delicious and greasy chews, he didn't know what to do.  I thought he would dive in and lick everything but he just stood there, sniffed, then looked at me with a hugely confused expression on his face.  I wish I'd gotten a picture, because it was hilarious.

I separated the chews and offered him one of each.  He was still quite confused and after about five minutes, went for a trachea.  I could tell it was a hard decision since he kept sniffing the other two and licked at the tendon for a bit, but I guess the old favorite won out in the end.


Edit
These chews are made by a local company here in Oregon, but I'm unsure of their exact location. They do have a website but it's under construction right now.  I also don't know too much about them, but they claim the treats are natural and all that.  Either way, Conker really likes them and hopefully they will get their site up soon so I can read more about them and do an actual review.

No comments:

Post a Comment