Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Fats and oils

It's the "dry" itchy season here in GP and Conker is not the only dog having problems with the weather changes.  While it may rain every frickin day for days in a row, it's dry as all getout when it's not.

Conker's salmon oil had run out a couple weeks ago and he almost instantly began to get real itchy.  I did find a couple fleas he picked up from another dog but I quickly remedied that (with several methods, washed everything, vacuumed... I don't like fleas) and haven't seen any fleas since.  I don't blame those two stray fleas for his itchiness since after I eliminated them any any others that could have been present, he was still itching like mad.
I didn't make the connection until I noticed that I hadn't been giving him any salmon oil for a couple days.  I quickly ran out and bought a bottle of salmon oil capsules as well as some vitamin E and began to give it to him.
Again the change was almost instant.  A few days later the itching was not as constant or aggressive.  (He was really itching HARD at times)  And while it hasn't completly stopped, it's lessened to the point where it's no longer a big concern.

With this discovery I have begun to think a bit about how fats and oils can affect a dog.  Dogs need fat in their diets.  Fat to a dog doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna put on weight.  Fat is their energy source, and the more fat they eat, the higher their energy is.  (Just look at what some sled-dogs eat.  There's a LOT of fat in their diets.)
Conker gets a lot of fat in his diet.  He eats the skin off his chicken and turkey and gets thick chunks of fat with his pork.  He gets, on average, about 2 ounces of fat a day if pork is included.  I have noticed that on heavy-fat days he is a bit unruly and needs an extra mile tacked onto his daily walk.
But he is still quite itchy. Even with the salmon oil and pork fat, he still itches a lot.  He still gets dandruff, and since he's not shedding bad right now, I can't attribute it to that.  (Or fleas, they are eliminated.)

Animals aren't the only source of fat dogs can use.  I've noticed that Conker really likes the smell and taste of the coconut oil I picked up to use when I cook certain things.  I wonder if I add a bit of that into his diet, will it help with the itching?  Or should I just up his pork/poultry fat ratio?  Conker has, like normal, issues with some vegetable oils (another experiment awaiting a write-up) but this coconut oil stuff is not one of them.  I guess it's something to think about.  Doesn't hurt to give it a try.
Except my wallet.  That shit's expensive.

2 comments:

  1. We are big fans of coconut oil here. I use it when cooking for them also. Ike and the other boys tend to be very lean, so I cook up ground beef I get from a local farm, with coconut oil and some Rosemary to use as a food topper. I don't ever worry about them getting too much fat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saya loves coconut oil too. I gotten some they were nice in my smoothies. Saya got hers with her egg or she ate it up not mixed in anything too.

    Nutiva coconut oil on amazon goes for decent price.. two 54-Ounce Containers for $46

    http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Coconut-54-Ounce-Containers/dp/B003QDRJXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321196497&sr=8-2

    They have other ones too if that's too much..

    I need to order that from amazon seems like a good deal. I plan to cook a few things with it and Saya loved it.

    I never use salmon oils once it ran out she seems do fine with it since I give her raw smelt, mackerel, saury and caned fish too. Walmart near me even has raw smelt yummy.

    ReplyDelete