Today Conker got one cup of kibble in the AM with half an egg and an ounce of ground chicken mixed in. In the PM he got 3/4 cup of kibble with the other half of the egg and another ounce of ground chicken mixed in. He seems to like the ground chicken, so I might make up a batch of chicken/egg mix.
I got a Coot wing out of the freezer today to see how the dogs would react to it. Conker showed interest, but wouldn't grab it. Juneau on the other hand, she almost took my hand with the wing when I showed it to her. Very strong bird-drive in this one.
I tied the wing to the Ruff Wear Gourdo toy that Juneau loves to retrieve (kinda like a bumper) and she thought that was AWESOME.
Juneau was pretty good with bringing it back, but wanted to keep the wing every time so I had to make sure she dropped it before I reached for it. She would not bite me, but would regrab the wing and try to carry it off.
Bird wing on her favorite toy? How could this get any better?
Then I threw it into the pool.
At first Juneau was hesitant to go in to get it. The dogs are not really allowed in the pool, and Juneau knows this, but I wanted to see if she could do a water retrieve, since I had never really tried anything in deeper water. Once she got over the "Are you SURE I can go in?" stage, she was a pro. She LOVED retrieving the Coot wing/Gourdo from the pool. Conker tried, but he's still a bit nervous about going into the pool, so he mainly stayed on the deck and barked his fool head off at Juneau as she swam around.
At the end of the game, Juneau ate the wing. Oops. At least she enjoyed it.
I really hope that I can get Juneau to get over her noise fear. It really would be nice to use her to retrieve Coots for me, since Conker is usually a punkass about this sort of thing, and I doubt he'd actually be reliable.
No comments:
Post a Comment