Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Swimming Shiba

Conker now enjoys swimming. So much that he will retrieve toys out of the water. This is huge for him! It's taken him a while to get used to being in water where he cannot touch the ground, and now that he is comfortable in it, I feel like it's time for a bit of training.

The deep part of the creek is about 3 feet
Juneau is still very scared of loud noises. I honestly doubt that I'll be able to get her adapted to loud sounds before waterfowl season. This means I will most likely not be able to use her as a retriever when I hunt Coots. However, now that Conker has shown that he will and likes to retrieve in water, I might have a back-up if Juneau's training doesn't work out.

How odd (and cool) would it be to have not only a hunting Shiba, but a retrieving (in water) one as well?

3 comments:

  1. Conker looks like a natural. :)

    Saya likes swimming in water mainly in hot weather.

    She only uses her front feet to swim some reason she doesn't use her back.

    Even so she swims very fast. I need get her a new baby pool to cool off during this summer. Darn possum ruined her first baby pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before yesterday, I'd never seen Conker do an actual doggy paddle with the front feet coming out of the water and splashing. He'd always done it softly and smoothly, but when I was having him retrieve a giant tennis ball out of the water, he was splashing like mad to get at it.
      He'll swim in any temperature. The creek is year-round, and he'll go in there when snow is on the ground. He does it more often in the summer though, and that's fully understandable.

      I should probably get a baby pool for our dogs. When they go into the "people" pool, they clog the filter with their fur and could possibly rip holes in the vinyl. It's an in-ground pool, so it's easy for them to get into, but it's not concrete like the last one we had (it also had a really good filter and could handle the dog fur.) They "know" not to go in, but sometimes it's just too darn tempting and they do it anyways. I've even caught Conker out there a few times, which is quite hilarious.

      Delete
  2. Yay for swimming Shiba Conker!!

    ReplyDelete