Pages

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Conker refused a raw meal (which I expected) then kinda surprised me by hurking up some yellow foam with tiny bits of liver than he'd licked off a cutting board in the morning. And a foxtail seed. I don't know what was up with that, if it was the liver or foxtail or what, so I held off on giving him food for a couple hours. He seems fine now.

He ate 1/2 cup each of Fromm and Before Grain kibbles mixed with a large egg in the early afternoon. He left a very small amount in the bowl, which Juneau ate. Did not barf it up.
I gave him another 1/2 cup of each kibble in the afternoon mixed with some lightly microwaved ground beef. He ate all of it. Microwaved beef (or the juice) seems to be the thing right now with Conker.


Today Conker and I visited several petshops to compare the prices of some wet foods. I think a wet food might entice him to eat more readily than the whole foods I have been trying. We bought one can each of EVO 95% Salmon & Herring and Red Meat. At Petco, which almost always has terrible prices, I was surprised to find a bag of Innova Red Meat for 50% off (nothing wrong with it) and the rest of the Innova products were either sale or clearanced as well. I bought the 15 pound bag since they were out of 30 pounders, and the smallest bags were the same price as the 15 pound bags. I also got a large bag of Before Grain Chicken (Merrick is discontinuing Before Grain and replacing it with something else) for about $20 off regular price.
I will probably feed the Before Grain to the Girls, since I am still unsure of how Conker will react to a chicken-based food. He seems to be able to tolerate low levels of chicken fine in most foods, so maybe he will be able to eat a chicken-based one. Maybe not. I'll test that out when he's eating reliably again.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sad to hear they are discontinuing the Before Grain foods. My cat really likes their cat foods, and it was one of the regular rotating kibbles I used before switching to raw. Hopefully it gets replaced by something else comparable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for cats they still have the Before Grain label. On their site the cat foods haven't changed. The dog foods have, and are replaced with grain-free or grain-inclusive foods under a generic Merrick label. So far the ingredient lists for the dog foods look alright, very similar to the old ones with very few changes. When I am finished with the Before Grain bags I have, I will pick up some of the newer ones to compare them.

      Delete