Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The "Access Road" at Dollar Hill is NOT an access road

I was told, some time ago by another hiker, that the "access road" on the backside of Dollar Hill could be used as an alternate route to get down if you didn't want to slide off the incredibly steep inclines on the way back to the trailhead. Yesterday I finally decided to see where this "road" came out, since the other hiker told me you'd have to walk on the road a bit to get back to the trailhead.
So once we'd rested at the lookout rock then made out way to the cell tower on the top, Conker and I set off to explore the backside of Dollar Hill.

The Cellular Phone tower atop Dollar Hill
Bad idea.

This "road" looked like your typical jagged gravel road for the first 1 1/2 mile. It was wide, cut right through the side of the mountain, had very little if any tree cover, but wasn't too overly steep. Then, it gradually shrank, the trees got closer, bushes began to hang over the gravel, and it looked more and more like a private residential road. I hadn't seen any signs indicating private property, or city property for that matter, anywhere along the road. Until I came to the 2 mile mark.
Yep, private property, no trespassing.
WELL. Apparently this "accsess road" is NOT what the other hiker said it was.

See, I have this thing about trespassing. I don't do it. Period. And up until that point, there were no signs to indicate otherwise, but I'd had a feeling that the road I was on was no longer city property. Yay. So happy about that.

So Conker and I turned around and trudged back up to the top of Dollar Hill. I was fuming. I did NOT want to go back up that damn hill, and I wanted to strangle that other hiker who lied about this road not going onto private property. (Which I asked about.) We added an unnecessary and unwanted additional 4 miles to our hike in the middle of the day BEFORE the damn storms hit, so it was still bloody hot outside despite the forecast of clouds and a temperature of about 77 degrees.

Anyways, I generally don't listen to the "advice" of other people, but now I know to just not do it at all.

Conker and I stopped at the lookout rock and watched the storms blow in from the Siskiyou mountains.  I wanted them to start raining while we were still on Dollar Hill, but that didn't happen. We just got blasted by a lot of wind, so we slid down the hill and walked back home.

Speaking of sliding...
The trail at Dollar Hill has really degraded a lot in the recent weeks. It's rather sad, since it's not almost impossible to go up it without slipping, and going down? Yeah, staying upright is damn near impossible. I had to hunker down and slide most of the way down the steepest slope. Conker didn't have much problem, but I don't want him going too fast down that hill due to his knees, and he always seems to think the correct plan of action is to rocket down as fast as possible.

I said I'd probably make the 6 mile walk/hike more of a regular thing, but if the trail continues to get worse, that's just not gonna happen. To top all this retardation off, the extra exercise did not help increase Conker's appetite at all. I was hoping it would. That has not worked yet.

Yesterday was just a generally stupid day.

No comments:

Post a Comment