Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

First Aid Kit

Whenever I go hiking with the dogs for longer than 3 miles, I take a first aid kit with me. Usually Sasha is the one to carry it since it does not weight very much and she doesn't need a lot of stuff in her pack to give her a workout like Juneau and Conker do.

This is all the junk that I have in my first aid kit.
Several feet of some sort of sports wrap, Vet wrap (green), mole skin, a very large needle, maxi pad (very absorbent. I otherwise don't use these), several different sizes of gauze pads, tooth floss, various bandaids, miscellaneous alcohol/iodine/anti-septic/whatever cloths, benadryl, anti-itch/anti-septic cream, sunscreen, chapstick, medical tape, blunt scissors, rain poncho (for making a shelter?), roll gauze, hand warmers, plastic gloves, and a pair of uber-needle nose pliers I use to pull out embedded ticks.

It all goes into this plastic thing that used to have thin curtains in it. I'd rather be prepared and have more than I need than to not have something when I'm 5+ miles from the trailhead and bleeding. Also, you've got no idea how many injured people I run into on hikes. They are everywhere, and they usually don't have ANYTHING with them that can be used for any sort of first aid.
Usually, a hiking/backpacking first aid kit fits into a pocket zipper thing barely bigger than the little black bag in the first picture. I use that to hold all the moist wipes and creams, which I carry about 5x more of than comes in those little kits. Same goes with all the other items.
I also have Sasha carry 100 feet of paracord rope, and have almost an entire roll of duct tape wrapped around a water bottle that I carry, neither of which is pictured.

If you think that's a lot of first aid stuff, you should see what I take on overnight backpack trips.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete