Pages

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Creek 'Splore

Conker and I did some 'splorin today. We were originally going to find a trail that leads up another cellular phone tower (I don't actually know what type of tower), but I could not find where it began, so we instead 'splored the creek.

The creek is "normal" for about 100 feet then goes into a dark tunnel. This is the first time I've ever gone in this direction up the creek since before now, the blackberry bushes have prevented any forward progress. Somebody hacked them to bits recently, allowing access to the Northern part of the creek.
Conker was reluctant to follow me into the tunnel.

After being convinced it was not going to eat him, Conker bounded through the tunnel to the other side.

The creek opened up into a beautiful mini forest of trees and shrubbery overhanging the creek. Conker and I 'splored for about 1/2 mile up the creek.

At one point he tried to climb an almost completely vertical section of the bank. I don't know why he choose this spot instead of any of the other milder banks to climb. 
We were stopped by a large wall of blackberry bushes (no picture) that I did not feel like combating today. We will probably try to fight our way through on some later day, since it looked like it cleared up a bit on the other side of the mass of thorny plants, when I don't have as much stuff with me as I did today.

One good perk to the hostile bushes was their plentiful fruit. The blackberries are ripening a little earlier this year for some reason. There were many that were quite ripe and ready to be eaten. I would have brought some back but I did not have a container to put them in.

About halfway back to the tunnel, I was showing Conker that a log I'd previously used to traverse a deep section of the creek was perfectly stable. He had not used it on the first trip and refused to on the second, but usually will if I show him it's safe.
Well, it wasn't, and snapped as I demonstrated on it, dumping me into about 4 feet of water. The creek is normally only about 1 foot deep, so at least I didn't hit any rocks, but I got thoroughly drenched in the process. As did everything I had with me, including my camera.

Now I know to listen to Conker when he refuses to step on something.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos! It looks like you an Conker found a great place to venture. Sorry to hear about the impromptu bath though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm... Your picture made me miss the blackberries at the dumpster park that Bowdu now refuses to enter. I like the tunnel too.

    ReplyDelete