Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Beginning the Baby Beef

Today was the first day of feeding the Baby Beef to the dogs. (Excluding the legbones the Girls got the day I got the Baby Beef.)  Conker, since he is a dork and will not touch any part of the Baby Beef period-end-of-discussion, will not be participating in the eating of the Baby Beef. This adventure in rawfoods is only for the Girls.

I have boxed portions of the organs that will last for a little under a week each but am still going at the meat and bones. I have three biggish plastic boxes of them, and the first is only half thawed, so every few hours I go and hack it's contents up a bit more. (When I skinned and gutted the Baby Beef, I did not cut it up much. Only into leg, back, chest, and neck sections.)
This is what the girls got today.

Legbones! Yes, these bones are safe to give to the dogs. The Baby Beef's bones are very soft so there is very minimal risk of fracturing teeth, especially when compared to adult beef bones.
Also in the bowls are bits of organs; Liver, lung, heart, kidney, and... Something... Not sure what.

Sasha is very good at stripping meat off bones. She pulled almost all of it off before crunching the bone into little bits. She liked to lick the marrow out of the bone then crunch the bone down, then lick more marrow out.

Juneau kinda just munched the whole thing at once. A bit of meat here, a bit of bone there, a bit of meat and bone at the same time... Juneau seemed to eat around the marrow (as odd as that is) then eat the marrow after it was well exposed.
She left a small bit in the yard which Sasha later claimed and devoured.

Both of the Girls thoroughly enjoyed their Baby Beef meals. Tomorrow will be the rest of the leg meat that was not fed today and a smaller portion of organs.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete