Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Baby Beef is done!

I decided to not extend the baby Beef out any longer and instead gave what remained to the girls today. I could have wiggled three (including today) more days out of it if I had wanted to, but I was a bit sick of it so I just gave them the large hunks of meaty bone and let them have a go at it.

 Baby Beef day 15: Pelvis and spine, neck (not pictured), and the rest of the organs.


Here's Sasha working on that neck. I gave it to her frozen since I gave the bigger hunk to Juneau and didn't want Sasha to try to hoard it from her sister. Because Sasha eats twice as fast as Juneau.

And Juneau with the big hunk or pelvis and lower spine.  

At first I laid the pelvic hunk in the grass and told all three dogs "Go ahead! Get it!" to which they all looked at me like I was possessed. Conker was the first to approach. He sniffed cautiously, then looked at me as if to say, "Sure, like I'm going to eat that." but stood guard over the meat, unsure is he really wanted it or not. He is, after all, the epitome of greed, and though he did not want to eat the meaty bone himself, he was surely not going to let those black dogs touch it.
Juneau was the second to approach. She walked towards the carcass in a semi-circle, eyeing Conker like some sort of Border Collie eyeing sheep. Juneau reached the heap of meat and bone, placed one paw on the prize, her head still low, eyes glued to Conker, and raised her lips. It was the most horrific looking snarl I have ever seen Juneau give.
Conker looked utterly shocked, and immediately retreated away from his former prize.
Good choice, Conker. Good choice. Juneau looked like she had the full intention of backing that snarl if she had to.

Conker buggered off to be annoying while I fetched the frozen neck for Sasha. They took quite a while to eat their hunks. Juneau actually didn't finish her whole piece. It was indeed, very large, and I knew she was not going to be able to finish it all today. But she laid out there in the yard beside it for a long while after she was full. It's still out there, since it's cold enough.

Tomorrow the Girls are going to get turns gnawing on the remains until they are all gone.

4 comments:

  1. wow.. the girls took organs as it is? not picky of their texture? =O mine will only take frozen internal organs esp lungs and liver..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juneau has only refused organs once, venison liver, but after offering it every day she finally ate it and now likes it. Other than that, those two will eat just about anything. Sasha is a garbage disposal when it comes to food. She really doesn't care, as long as it's edible, she'll scarf it down no problem.
      Conker on the other hand... No, he wouldn't touch any of it. Especially the organs.

      Delete
  2. Such shiny black dogs! Farewell, baby beef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, sometimes I forget how goshdarn shiny they are when I take them out and about. People constantly comment on it. Conker isn't anywhere near as shiny as they are. He's still pretty shiny though, just not reflective like the Girls.

      Delete