Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

One Down...

Who knows how many more to go.

There have been rats in the ceiling for a while now. Every so often I hear them making noises at night, and since I am a light sleeper, they keep me awake.
Mom finally decided she did not want rats in the house, so she went out and bought some traps. I set one up on the "rat highway" in the garage where we have seen them run a few times. Since the beam is narrow, and we didn't really want the triggered trap and caught rat to come flying down into the garage, I nailed the trap in place. The bait portion is over the beam, the rest is hanging out over the garage door. I set the trap with peanut butter and waited.

THUD!

I do not particularly like killing the rats. I am against poisoning them (for various reasons) and since I cannot fit Conker into the space the rats have nested in, traps are what the solution is.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I hate poisoning any animal rat, coyote or whatever..

    I use traps that I reuse each time.

    There is a mystery going around.. The mouse trap I set in garage is missing I looked all over near where it was, but it's not in the area it was set.

    Either it sprung and flew somewhere or mouse was caught at night and something got it.

    Thing is garage isn't opened too long, but who knows maybe when I was cleaning the garage something came in like raccoon or cat and too the mouse in the trap taking the trap with it..

    I plan to check around I hope whatever it was isn't still in the garage. Maybe I'll bring Saya in the garage on leash she knows what a cat or raccoon smells like so maybe she'd pinpoint where it might be.

    Parent's didn't move it or throw it away either. In spring when we take the table, hoses, and chairs in their area maybe I'll find it then. I use spring type trap works pretty well.

    I hope you get all the rats my last house we were renting after moving from Louisiana had rats in the ceiling. annoying critters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd hate to have to deal with this. After having rats as pets I find it hard to turn the empathy switch off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I had a pair of rats some years ago, they were so cool. They make killing the pest rats difficult.

      Delete