Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

F-21

 
Baby Beef day 13: Ribs, shoulder blade, and a bunch of organs.


I took Juneau on a short hike today. I wanted to work with her alone in order to brush up on some manners that have gotten quite rusty. One way I train is to have the dog walk nicely on-leash, and when they do that for a bit they get to run around off-leash as the reward. Rinse and repeat, throw in some heeling, etc. When we encounter people the dog(s) is leashed, and if they are polite, they go off-leash right away. If not, more heeling and leash manners.
We did mostly heel/leash work since there were not a lot of people today, so I guess I'll either have to take her on another solo hike or... A walk. I don't do walks. Not happily that is. I hike, not stroll around the neighborhood.

 This is but one reason why I don't do walks.

2 comments:

  1. I hate "walks". I've had to do them with Lobo since I don't have the car during the day and I always seek out the woodsiest area I can find but it's frustrating because I have spectacular trails a 15 minute drive away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got one trail that's 2 miles from my house, so if I walk to it, hike, then walk back, it's a 6 mile round-trip. But neither Conker or I actually enjoy that one. I do it mainly to get in better shape (it's a very tough trail) or to get a view of the city or mountains.

      The Cathedral Hills trail system is, depending on which trailhead I use, 3.6 or 5.6 miles from my house. I don't like to walk to this system since I have to go through the city, not neighborhoods, and even though I don't even like walking in neighborhoods, the city is much worse than that.

      I'd totally ride a bike if my dogs would trot nicely beside it. I'm going to start working on that though, I'd like to save some gas since I hike there often enough.

      Delete