Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Boats and Houses

The sleepover went well.  Took Lucky and Star for a walk, watched TV with them then read a few chapters of Merle's Door and went to bed.  Lucky and Star, I assume by the way they acted, are allowed on the bed.  Since they mobbed me before I had even really gotten settled.  I woke up the next morning with start lying on top of me.  As soon as she saw I was awake, she promptly began to wash my face.  I tried to escape but Lucky was right beside me and joined in.
After a walk and breakfast, I put them in the back and went home.
Conker was overly joyed to see me when I got back.  I heard that he woke up Neil, my sister's friend from Washington, who as camping out on our couch by licking his face. 


Grant's Pass holds this thing called Boatnik during Memorial weekend.  There is a fair and stuff, but the main thing are the speedboats.  The little one or two seater boats are basically good for one thing: going really fast.  They are small and have huge engines that weigh down the back and are very loud.  It's been going on for some fifty years or so.  Here's a bad video of one of the boats.

I was at the very beginning of the "agility" course and couldn't see the rest of it due to the trees.  It was still neat to listen to the boat race through the course. 

They also did times races with those little boats.  One of the drivers (sailors?) at the end of the agility course splashed me and the people beside me by turning real quick, then went after the flaggers on the other bank who waved a green flag when it was time for the boats to hit the throttle.  I got a couple pictures of him doing that.  You can see the pictures I took of the boats here.


In other news...

I was almost on the show that aired on PBS in 2002 called Fronteir House.  A lot of people applied to go on the show and act like a family way back then and go homesteading in Montana.  It was a pretty neat idea, and we were amongst the 100 families narrowed down out of a couple thousand who were called and interviewed for the show.  I think the reason we weren't chosen was because we had Lindsey, who was a VERY young kid at the time, and I don't think PBS wanted to risk anything happening to such a young kid.

Anyways, it was really neat to watch the show that we were almost on when it aired.  Funny to think that this show could have been the inspiration for my current life goal of living on 100 or more acers in a home I built, running off a well and solar and raising and growing my own food.
Either that or I'm just that kind of whack person.

You should watch Frontier House if you can find the DVD's or if it's ever on the air again.  It was fun and very interesting to see modern-day people living like homsteaders in the late 1800's.

No comments:

Post a Comment