Conker and I went to the dog park earlier than normal today. And upon our arrival and seeing no other dogs in the park, I opted to go explore the jungle around the creek to give other dog owners a bit of time to arrive.
Conker, who's never been allowed to explore on his own terms, thought this was a great idea.
Conker walked through the tall grass and down the multiple short trails around the most-visited section of the creek. He stopped to sniff where he pleased and went in whatever direction HE wanted, with me tagging along behind holding the other end of the leash.
Conker discovered that the walkways around the creek don't always lead to the creek and are fun to follow and drink in the various sights and smells.
This was the end of the land-based trails. I was in an exploratory mood and since there were no more trails to follow, we turned around, walked beside the dog park for a ways and down to the creek where most people don't go.
I didn't want to climb back up the hill we took to get down to the creek, and much to Conker's horror, I stepped into the creek and began to walk upstream. In my not-waterproof SWAT boots. At first he didn't want to come, but the second I whipped out a bag of Zuke's salmon treats he was willing to step into the chill water.
Conker followed me through water up to his chest but wouldn't go in any deeper or swim, even with the salmon treats dangling before his nose. So when that happened I picked him up and carried him through the deeper water or slick spots until we reached Shiba appropriate areas.
For a first real creek trial, I would say it went pretty well. Hopefully Conker will grow to like Fording the Creek (as I would chant while carrying him through knee-high water) so his summer experience in Grant's Pass can be a bit cooler.
Sadly after this part of the creek 'splore my camera decided to be a dork and not work. I still haven't found any film that I'm willing to buy and use, so for now I have to put up with this crappy temperamental point-and-shoot.
Nice little adventure. =)
ReplyDeleteSaya likes walking in the shallow of the creek near my house.
She went swimming at Wisconsin lake after tons of coaxing she did pretty good for a dog who doesn't paddle with her back legs..
I bet Conker will get better each time.