My dog food experiment was mostly a success. I started by making a small batch of the new food for Conker to test and when he passed better than the old food, I made up a huge batch of the new stuff.
Pictured here is part of my supply of meat. We've got sliced beef liver, chicken livers, chicken gizzards, chunked beef kidney and some "old" already portioned pork meals.
And here is roughly 6-7 pounds of chicken drums and thighs.
Out of that I got something like 3 1/2 pounds of meat with some skin. I removed the skin from the thighs for my own reason. I like to make Schmaltz with it.
A drum, some "de-fleshed" bones and some meat. And my Mom's inferior chef's knife. Mine is a much lamer brand but sooo much sharper.
I left some meat on the bones intentionally.
Chicken hearts, beef kidney, chicken bones, chicken meat, beef liver and a piece of pork. No gizzards pictured though.
Somerwhere around here I stuck the meat back into the freezer to firm up a bit and went to the dog park.
When meeting new dogs, if there's a lot of them, Conker will get snarky and drop his tail for 5-10 minutes and generally act like a brat then spontaneously decide he likes everybody and get along great. Pictured above is a gorgeous 10 month old red Golden Retriever, Hank the hound dog mix, Conker, Stetson the Siberian and a Pit Bull who's name is either Ellie or Anna. Can't ever remember. The Westies were there but they didn't get in the picture.
A couple hours later...
I did this.
And this.
And made this. Yum.
All with a knife. I'm going to get a meat grinder sometime soon when I can find one at a decent price since chopping that much meat by hand takes for-blicking-ever. But Conker doesn't gulp it down and choke so it's worth it. I also did that to the already-portioned pork meals. I made eight chicken and two pork days of food.
This is what a completed meal looks like. Roughly a cup of the meat/organ mix, one chicken bone and some salmon oil, his g/c/MSM stuff and a probiotic and vitamin E that he gets once or so a week.
Conker is good with the bones, for the most part, and will chew them okay but not enough to make my happy. I still watch him like a hawk when he eats for that just-in-case scenario if it ever rears it's ugly head.
I'd like to grind everything, even the bones, but that depends on the grinder I get. If I did that, for teeth-cleaning I'd use larger bones he can't get in his mouth and bully sticks so no worries of gunky teeth here.
Awesome posts! I miss preparing the big raw feasts for our dogs. These days we're back to kibble (since we're back to fostering) but they still get chicken parts a few times a week.
ReplyDeleteShopping for raw is fun isn't it?
Yep! Sure is fun! I usually eat some of the meat myself XD
ReplyDelete