Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Dog Food Part 1.

As I've mentioned before, I make Conker's food in a style called Prey Model Raw.  It's made up of roughly 80% meat, 10% bone and 10% organs and uses raw stuff, hence the raw in the title. No cooking or whatever.
I do supplement a few things.
Salmon oil
VitaminE
Glucosamone/chondroitin/MSM

The omegas in the salmon oil are great for joints, immune health and an amazing coat.  But they can block vitamin E absorption so I give one 200IU capsule a day.  It's generally a good thing to give since it's an antioxidant.  I give Conker Liquid Health g/c/MSM due to his Luxating Patella to help keep the joints in good shape.  It DOES NOT treat LP, it's simply used as a preventive measure against wear and possible future arthritis cause by LP.
Conker also gets at least one raw egg a week, sometimes two.  Shell and all. 


Normally his food looks something like this.

A cut of bone-in pork (that I hacked up with a cleaver... boy was that fun) with beef liver and kidney and the liquid supplements squirted on top.  The white stuff is frost.

Which brings up a subject.  Why is there frost on Conker's meat?  Because it's frozen.  And why do I feed it frozen... because he is what us rawfeeders call a gulper.  Conker will try to swallow that hunk of meat and bone whole or with minimal "chewing".  Dogs don't actually chew their food but Conker fails to break it up so he gets it frozen so he's forced to work on it.  But he'll still try to swallow it whole once he gets it to a certain size so I always need to watch him.  He will chew the meat off the bone if it isn't completely surrounded and try to swallow that but he will crunch the bone up just fine if there's little or no meat on it.


So I'm going to attempt to combat Conker's stupid eating habits that he probably learned from me.  After I find the whetstones, I'm going to sharpen up the old cleaver and a couple other knives that are so dull I can drag them hard against my skin and not cut it, and punish some meat with them.


Tune in soon for Dog Food Part 2 to see what I do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment