Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Arizona Adventure: The White Tank Mountains, Part 2

Part 1

Hazardous was right. The trail instantly got more rocky and had steep drop offs on one side.

Conker and I stopped several times to look at the desert on the other side of the drop.

Conker seemed like he was having a blast navigating the rocks.

Sometimes we would go a little too fast and try to jump up a rock and hit the end of the leash and snap back down. I had to either try to catch him to leap forwards to prevent this.

Sometimes I think Conker is part Mountain Goat. He loves to climb up things, especially rocks. We found a large pile of rocks and he just had to climb it to sniff around.

I did say it was large, didn't I?

Conker really liked this part of the trail. He was hopping around like mad.

We continued for another 2 miles or so past the warning signs until we came to a rock wall. We climbed up it but the trail just ended on the other side. I was quite confused, since the map said the trail continued on past and up across a pass. We looked for the other end of the trail for a while but after about 20 minutes of finding nothing, we turned back.

Despite the dissapointment in the middle of the hike, it was a lot of fun. Conker really enjoyed all the rocks, it's too bad I haven't found anything like that within a reasonable driving distance of GP.

I do know of a couple places that might be similar. There is a trail along the Rouge River that could have some neat hiking sections, I plan on visiting that sometime soon. And then there's the Badlands in Central Oregon that I am planning a week-long trip for this spring/summer. I am really looking forwards to that one.


Anywho, that was our one hike in Arizona. I really miss hiking in the desert.

But I don't miss these.

No comments:

Post a Comment