I posted this a while back but I had someone request I show it, just in case she doesn't see my comment reply.
The tooth was the upper left carnassial and had a large enough chunk broken off that only about two sections of 1/3rd inch of tooth was left. The pulp was visible in three places and was a darkish brown color. The break was sharp and jagged and caused Juneau some pain. She rubbed her face on the ground or with a paw frequently, which is a sign of discomfort or pain.
Due to the extent of the break we had to have the tooth extracted. That's not a cheap procedure but it's well worth the cost compared to what could happen if one were to ignore the tooth and let it abscess and rot. During the extraction the rest of Juneau's teeth were cleaned. They didn't need it that badly but passing it up would have been kinda dumb since the cost of anesthesia and monitoring is what drives the price up so high.
My suspect for breaking the tooth is a rock. I say this because I had not given the dogs any hard bones or chews for a while. I could have missed an old one in the yard, but I haven't found any since the break occurred so I doubt that is the case.
Anywho, I think it was a rock since our yard has lots of rocks in it and the Girls like to chew on sticks, and sometimes they get rocks in their mouths when they chew out in the yard.
No comments:
Post a Comment