Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Today was Chicken Q day!

That bag of chicken quarters I bought has been sitting in the fridge for a couple days and was thawed enough for me to wrestle the bits apart. I grabbed two chunks that weighed a little less than a pound each for the Girls and hacked one into smaller chunks for Conker.
I added in some turkey liver, gizzard, canned mollusks, and an egg for the Girls. Conker basically got the same with a few small changes.

Thanks, Blogger, for making this picture look like crap
Conker bit me while doing his down/sit/wait before getting his food. This is an increasing occurrence that is really getting on my nerves. He didn't draw blood (thankfully I taught him good bite inhibition) but that doesn't mean it's okay to bite the hand that feeds you.

I also made up some oat bran for the dogs. Conker gets this just about every night, oat bran or oatmeal, since raw foods alone (at least what I can get) do not contain all the nutrients for a dog to remain healthy in the long-term. The oat-foods have Thiamin, Foliate, Manganese, Magnesium, Potassium, Iron, and a couple other trace minerals that fill in the gaps where the other raw foods are lacking.
I only give a small portion of oat-based foods, just enough to supply the correct amount of missing nutrients. Sometimes I add in an egg, sardines, or some cream. Heavy whipping-cream is basically all fat and very little lactose with a bit of Vitamin A and D. I put it in my own oats in place of sugar or honey, or with one, or both...
The biggest reason why I give sardines is because of their Vitamin D content. Raw foods alone do not have enough of this, so I give canned fish to supply it.

Simmering Lithe Tea
The dog oat-food is made with Lithe Tea instead of regular water. I still don't have an opinion on this stuff, I will soonish but not quite yet.

Almost-finished Oat Bran
The oat-food is cooked with a bit of extra water and for longer than you would for a human. It then sits on the stove for a couple minutes to cool and thicken.
Next I add in things like sardines and cream. One can of sardines for three dogs (I could use less but I only feed the big dogs this every now and then) and about 1 tablespoon cream for each dog. I stir this all real good then let it cool a bit more before serving.

Oat Bran with added sardines and cream
The Girls each get a little over a cup, Conker about 3/4 of a cup. They have no problem finishing it all. I prefer to feed the raw meal and oat-food with at least a couple hours between them. I usually feed the raw meal (or kibble for the Girls) in the morning/early afternoon, and the oat-food in the evening.
Sometimes I feed them together but Conker tends to become more picky when I do that and will only finish part of his food, so if I space the meals out he finishes them with no stupid occurring.


Man, I love this home-made dog food stuff. It's so freakin fun. Researching, planning, buying, preparing, and making meals for the dogs much more fun than scooping out kibble and dumping it into a bowl.

3 comments:

  1. I bet they loved that! Looks delish.. to a dog anyway!

    Kyuss is on home cooked food with kibble and raw.
    I've been wanting to switch him over to exclusivly raw and home cooked for sometime... just haven't gotten around to it yet =/

    Gonna check back often for recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good enough for human to eat ;) Do you feel that you need to supplement because the meat is factory farmed?
    Thats one of the issues I'm trying to figure out now, from what I've read, dogs can get all their nutrients from meat/bone/organ alone, but when it comes to domestic dogs there are a lot of factors to consider such as lack of nutrients in factory farmed animals, lack of variety, possible inclusion of grasses/berries in natural diet, etc.
    I'm still in the tweaking process, but I just started adding solid gold seameal because I feel like it could benefit from extra nutrients plus he's always craving grass, so I wonder if theres something missing. I also sometimes give him leftover cooked oatmeal mixed in with some fish oil which he loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Partly, and also because I'm a bit OCD about it. You know how some people say they have things that keep them up at night? Well, mine usually pertains to what I'm feeding Conker. (I have gotten up in the middle of the night to re-check things before) I just don't want to do anything wrong and want to cover all the bases.
      I've got about 30 scientific studies and maybe 10 or so vet-written papers about canine nutrition, what to feed (a lot of them are quite conflicting), and info sheets on individual nutrients, their requirements, and what the signs of deficiencies or excesses are.
      And I'm always looking for more.
      The way Conker's diet is formulated out right now is that it meets the NRC numbers and over just slightly so that if something isn't quite as bio-available as I think it is, he's still getting the proper amounts of nutrients.

      The NRC number's aren't the law on canine nutrition, but right now they decide what I feed Conker. Until/unless some other scientific research suggests otherwise. And according to them, just meat/bone/organ does not have enough magnesium, riboflavin, manganese, folate, and a couple trace minerals. That's where the oats come in. They've got all that and a small amount supplies more than enough to cover it.

      And the mollusks... I feed a lot of chicken, and chicken doesn't have very much zinc or iron. The mollusks have a TON per ounce compared to other meats. If I fed no chicken I could probably get away with not giving them but I don't.

      The salmon/fish oil and Vitamin E go together. I give the salmon oil since farmed meats don't have the correct omega ratio, and omegas can deplete Vitamin E so I always give them together. I also give it for it's anti-inflammatory properties due to Conker's Luxating Patella.

      One of the other reasons why I feed non-raw things is because I can't get organs other than liver, and buying them online and shipping them would cost a LOT so that is out of the question.
      The way I see it, I'd rather feed something that doesn't conform to the "raw" aspect than to leave it out entirely and risk my dog developing a deficiency.

      Delete