To start, the Old:
| Ruff Wear Webmaster II |
| Fuji strikes again with terrible picture quality. |
Many people have asked about it and wonder where they can get one of their own.
| Conker leaves bits of himself everywhere he goes, including the harness. |
And now the New:
| Straps are not as tight so they look quite loose. |
| It blends in on a black dog, but is still stylish. |
| It has yet to be permanently decorated by fur. |
The two harnesses are somewhat hard to compare, since the newer one is drastically different than the old. However, I will detail some of the differences between the two and try not to glorify one over the other too much.
For starters:
Both harnesses have a tow loop located at the back. The loop on the Old is small and runs under a sewn-down nylon strap.
The tow loop on the New harness is much larger and is stitched on with bright yellow thread.
A plus for the Old harness is the Light Loop, a piece of nylon strap with space underneath that you can attach some sort of light; a flasher, LED, or reflector, to the harness so your dog is visible at night. I have used the light loop and really like how it's present on the Old harness.
(Conker was wearing a light one night and somehow got free. I would not have found him if he had not had the light on.)
The New harness does not have a light loop. This makes attaching a safety light somewhat hard, since slipping it onto the top of the harness has resulted in it coming loose due to it not being able to latch on properly.
The New harness does have a very sweet looking and sturdy leash attachment though.
A big difference I have noticed is the front where the three straps meet.
The New is equipped with a padded chest plate that helps distribute force more evenly than just a plastic triangle. The Old does not have this, and It is a very good addition.
Another improvement is the elastic on the two rear straps. It protects against sudden yanks on the harness by slowing the impact, and probably gives a bit of comfort to the dog being picked up.
One of the more noticeable additions to the New harness is the reflective striping. The Old harness has none. This greatly improves night-time visibility and makes the harness ever more slightly attractive. It does not replace the light loop completely, but it is a very good feature to have.
| A tad too big to the Emperor. |
Overall, both of these harnesses are very durable, constructed from good material, quite useful, and get your dogs noticed. As much as I like the Old harness, though, I have got to pick the New as my favorite. It's built slightly better, has more features, is easier to use and adjust, fits better on the dog and is a lot better looking than the Old.
If you are interested in buying a Web Master harness, you can get it directly from Ruff Wear's site or a local store that sells it. Better yet, don't go out and buy the first one you see. Shop around a bit, compare prices, and scour the internet for a deal. I know a couple people who got some of the Newer harnesses for about $30, maybe even less, which is a deal since they normally retail around $50.
I bought my Web Master II (it was originally an Approach II) for $25, and you may be able to find an older one for a better price, but I still recommend you get the newer harness.
Great review. Thanks. Still thinking about buying one.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the review. I was looking at a light loop model on eBay--our S Web Master that "just fit" the new greyhound last year is now too small. I really appreciate the details you called out.
ReplyDelete