One of the items I got in my package from
Altrec is a Ruff Wear
Sqwash. Like usual, I got the older
discounted type that comes in an orangeish yellow color instead of swirly purple berry goodness.
 |
| Older Sqwash looks like a squash. |
I thought this toy would be a bit bigger than it actually is, but that works out good since Conker can easily grip it. Like the other Ruff Wear toys, it's made out of a durable heavy rubber. It's hollow inside and the rubber isn't as thick as some other toys, so it is easier to squish.
 |
| Conker immediately claimed the Sqwash as his. |
Conker began to play with it right away, then he settled down to chew on it. After a while Juneau got a hold of it and chewed as well, and while Ruff Wear says it's not a chew toy, so far neither of them have done any damage to it.
 |
| Juneau being harassed by Conker. |
Juneau took to retrieving the Sqwash instantly. She loves it, almost more than a ball. The Sqwash, being lighter and thinner than some other Ruff Wear toys, can get some pretty neat air when it hits the ground, or shoot of at strange angles when it hits something. The dogs have to be paying attention when they play with it or they might lose sight.
 |
| Juneau patiently but excitedly waits for me to throw the Squash. |
I decided to be stupid and took the Sqwash hiking on Dollar Hill (Mountain). I figured I would only use it where the trail was flattish, but I did not do that. I began to toss the thing down the trail and watching the dogs chase after it as it ricocheted off the trees and down the hills was quite entertaining. Then, the inevitable happened.
It bounced down the hill, over the edge of the hill, and down into a ravine-thing that was about 250 feet deep. FFFFFF-CRAP! My brand new, $9 toy that I'd had for less than 4 hours was down there somewhere, and I'd have to go look for it, and it happened to be the exact same color as the leaves covering the ground. I was not in a good mood.
I watched the dogs run around looking for it, and saw it in Conker's mouth a couple times, but being a Shiba he did not bring it back when I told him to. He bugged off and did other things more important than listening to me.
As I prepared to climb down into the ravine to find it...
 |
| Juneau returns. |
I saw Juneau approaching, with the Sqwash in her mouth! Good girl Juneau! She got much praise, treats and loving for returning the toy to me, and while for a moment I wanted to chuck it back down there to see if she could do it again, I refrained from doing so.
 |
| Juneau brings the Sqwash back. |
So, as a word of caution to you, DON'T PLAY WITH THIS NEAR BIGASS RAVINES! It will inevitably end up at the bottom, and unless you have an obsessive retriever with you, you probably will not find it.
Overall, this is a very good toy. Lots of fun even if your dog (Conker) doesn't retrieve so well, since it gets their chase-and-catch instincts into gear with it's erratic bouncing. Like Ruff Wear says, I wouldn't recommend it as a chew toy since it's not meant for that, but you can load it with treats or kibble and use it like a Kong if you want.
The Sqwash retails for around $12 on Ruff Wear's site and many other online retailers, but if you are like me, you can find it for cheaper if you look hard enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment