Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Ruff Wear: Gourdo

The first Ruff Wear toy I bought was this little orange thing I found while at Cabelas during last Christmas.  I cost $8.88, not the greatest deal but it was the only one I had found that was not online for a similar price.
The little orange thing is... The Gourdo.  I also found a blue Gourdo at Cabelas for $6.88 and got that one a few days after I got the first. 

Gourdo of two colors and sizes.
The Gourdo comes in two sizes, and formerly, three colors. Black, blue and orange.  The newer version only comes in orange but its swirly orange, so I guess that makes it cooler.

Conker with the small orange Gourdo in Arizona.

It's a durable, heavy toy with a rope on one end for the owner to grab and use to throw, or tug with, to avoid slobber.  It's a handy attachment but care needs to be taken with chewers: they will go right for that rope and chew it off.

Juneau with the large blue Gourdo .
Something I find cool about the Gourdo is that it bounces quite a bit.  Despite it being a somewhat heavy toy (even the smaller one has some weight to it) it can catch some good air when it hits the ground right.  This makes it more fun for the dogs since it can bounce over them and they have to try to maneuver correctly to catch it.

Despite it's size and weight, Conker can carry the large Gourdo .
The more enthusiastic smaller dogs can even play with the larger Gourdo .  Conker actually prefers it to the smaller one when Juneau is playing as well.

Juneau waits patiently for me to throw the Gourdo .
Since this toy is pretty heavy, it could potentially do some damage so I don't recommend playing with it inside. Plus since it bounces, even a short toss could result in something getting smashed. And a dog who jumps the gun and gets ahead can easily be hit with it, but so far none of mine have seemed to notice. (I don't intentionally try to hit them, it just happens.)

Tug with the Gourdo is fun.
Overall this seems to be a pretty good toy. Juneau hasn't been able to put a dent in it yet and hasn't had the opportunity to destroy the rope (I know she will if she gets the chance) and the two who will pick it up seem to really enjoy playing with it.  (Sasha will try to steal it but will drop it as soon as it's hers.)

I have seen the newer model of the Gourdo and couldn't really find much of a difference other than color, so if you can find the older models for a cheaper price, I recommend buying them.  It's on sale on Ruff Wear' site and several others across the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment